Syria evacuations resume after deadly bombing

2017-04-19 15:47
This frame grab from video provided by the Thiqa News Agency shows the buses that were damaged in a blast outside Aleppo in Syria. (Thiqa News via AP)

This frame grab from video provided by the Thiqa News Agency shows the buses that were damaged in a blast outside Aleppo in Syria. (Thiqa News via AP)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Rashidin - The evacuation of civilians and fighters from besieged Syrian towns resumed on Wednesday after a weekend bombing at a transit point killed 126 people, 68 of them children, an AFP correspondent reported.

Dozens of buses from the government-held towns of Fuaa and Kafraya, which have been under crippling siege for more than two years, reached the edge of the rebel-held transit point of Rashidin outside government-held second city Aleppo, the correspondent said.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights confirmed the hard-won evacuation deal was back under way.

"The process has resumed with 3 000 people leaving Fuaa and Kafraya at dawn and nearly 300 leaving Zabadani and two other rebel-held areas," the head of the Britain-based monitoring group, Rami Abdel Rahman, told AFP.

Rashidin was the scene of Saturday's deadly bombing. At least 109 of the dead were evacuees. The rest were aid workers and rebels guarding the convoy.

Dozens of wounded were taken to hospitals in nearby rebel-held territory, while others were taken to Aleppo.

The evacuations were taking place under a deal between the government and the rebels that is also seeing residents and rebels transported out of Madaya and Zabadani, towns near Damascus that are surrounded by pro-government forces.

The agreement is the latest in a string of such deals, which the government of President Bashar Assad says are the best way to end the violence after more than six years of civil war.

Rebels say they amount to forced relocation after years of bombardment and siege.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for Saturday's bombing.

Islamist rebel group Ahrar al-Sham, which has many fighters in the area, denied any involvement.

The government blamed "terrorists" - a catch-all term for its opponents.

The evacuation deal was brokered late last month by Qatar, a long-time supporter of the rebels, and Iran, a key regime ally.

Its implementation had been repeatedly delayed.


Read more on:    bashar assad  |  syria  |  syria conflict

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/Africa
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.