Turkey: 36 ISIS suspects charged over peace rally attack

2016-07-13 17:55

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkey's state-run news agency says prosecutors are seeking several consecutive life sentences for dozens of suspects accused of involvement in twin suicide bombings that killed 103 people outside Ankara's train station last year.

There was no claim of responsibility for the Oct. 10, 2015 attack that targeted a peace rally, but Turkish authorities blamed the attack on home-grown Islamic State militants.

Anadolu Agency said Wednesday the Ankara prosecutor's office has charged 36 people with crimes against the state, killing some 100 people, attempting to kill 391 people who were hurt in the attack and possession of arms and explosives. Anadolu said they would collectively face more than 11,000 years in prison, but didn't provide a breakdown.

The suspects include a suspected IS chief in Turkey and a Kazakh national.

NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.