UK mother speaks out after son nearly died drinking cleaning liquid

2018-08-03 15:34

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

The mother of a two-year-old who had to spend five days in an induced coma after consuming cleaning liquid has spoken out, more than a month after the terrible ordeal on 29 June.

Bodè Galligan (2), from Southwell in England, reportedly picked up a bottle of waxing equipment cleaning fluid in a room where his beautician mom, Emily Galligan (34), keeps her beauty treatments products, Nottingham Post reports.

Emily said the incident occurred after she’d fetched the toddler from his babysitter and his older sister, Nyla (5), from school. When her husband, Lee Galligan (36), got home from work his family were playing in the garden and went into the house to see him.

“We went through the house to see him and then I realised Bodè wasn’t behind me,” Emily said. “I went back and saw him drinking the fluid.

“I shouted to Lee and we tried to give him water. His breathing changed, his eyes were rolling and he started sweating.”

They called emergency services and the little boy was rushed by ambulance to King’s Mill Hospital in Sutton-in-Ashfield, Mirror reports.

“We were told that if he didn’t go into an induced coma, we were going to lose him,” Emily said. “We were told to ring our families because it wasn’t looking good.”

At 3am the following morning the little boy was rushed to Queen’s Medical Centre in Nottingham where he was admitted to the paediatric ICU centre.

Emily said the Sunday after the incident was the worst. “All this rubbish was being brought up from his lungs, and then he had no chest movement and they had to bring him back.

“I can’t describe how it felt. I don’t know how parents cope if they do lose a child. I felt physically sick. I felt that if he died it was my fault.”

Lee described the experience as “horrible”, adding that Queen’s hospital saved their son.

“Queen’s were absolutely unbelievable. Bodè was one-on-one with a nurse 24 hours a day. They literally didn’t leave his bedside. The care they give the parents, not just the children, is amazing. It’s like a big family.”

Emily said her beauty treatment products are usually locked away, but on that day she’d just finished waxing a client and was in a hurry to fetch the kids.

The parents are so thankful to Queen’s that they’re now raising money for the hospital, Good to Know reports.

Sources: Good to Know, Mirror, Nottingham Post

Read more on:    boy

Join the conversation! encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire network.


Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.