US Air Force head 'concerned' about no-first-use nukes

2016-08-04 21:37
(iStock)

(iStock)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Washington - The head of the US Air Force on Thursday said she would be "concerned" if President Barack Obama were to formally declare a "no-first-use" policy for America's arsenal of nuclear weapons.

US media reports have in recent weeks said Obama is weighing an overhaul of long-standing nuclear policy, including by pledging to never conduct the first strike in a nuclear conflict.

"I would be concerned about such a policy," Air Force Secretary Deborah Lee James told the New America think tank in Washington.

"Having a certain degree of ambiguity is not necessarily a bad thing. You certainly want to communicate certain things to allies and to your potential adversaries around the world, but you don't necessarily want to show all your cards all the time."

The US Air Force is responsible for two legs of America's nuclear defence "triad" - a three-pronged nuclear system comprising long-range bombers, ground-launched missiles and submarines.

The Washington Post last month reported that Obama, who has espoused a world free of nuclear weapons, is weighing a range of measures that he could implement before leaving office at the end of the year.

Among these measures are funding cuts to modernise America's nuclear arsenal, and cancelling or delaying development of the Long-Range Stand-Off nuclear cruise missile, the Post reported.

Separately, James reacted to this week's news that an initial squadron of Air Force F-35 jets is finally ready for combat.

At nearly $400bn, the most expensive plane in history has been beset by delays, technical problems and cost overruns.

"It has taken too long, there were too many schedule slips and of course it's gone over budget, and that's the part [of the plane's history] I would like to re-write," she said.

But "the thing I am bullish about is it's exactly the type of aircraft we need for some of these high-end threats around the world that we believe are going to be the key threats of the future".

Read more on:    barack obama  |  us  |  military

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
 

Men.24 Model of the Week: Wendy from Cape Town

Find out more about our featured model, Wendy from Cape Town

 
 

You won't want to miss...

Who are the highest paid models of 2017?
10 gorgeous plus-sized models who aren't Ashley Graham
WATCH: Pornhub is giving users free access to premium content these holidays
5 top leg exercises for men
Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.