US air strike reportedly kills 13 Afghan civilians

2016-09-28 21:16

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Nangarhar - At least 13 civilians have been killed in a US air strike targeting ISIS that hit a residential house in eastern Nangarhar province, an Afghan official says.

Esmatullah Shinwari, a Nangarhar lawmaker, said on Wednesday a crowd had gathered at the house in Achin district to welcome home a tribal leader returning from the Hajj.

He also said at least six fighters loyal to the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL, also known as ISIS) were also killed in the incident. According to Shinwari, 12 more people were also wounded, including the tribal leader.

Mohammad Ali, the police chief of Achin, gave a different death toll to the AFP news agency, saying three civilians and 15 fighters were killed in the attack.

Hazrat Hussain Mashreqiwal, spokesperson for the provincial police chief, said ISIS loyalists were the target. Afghan forces backed by the US military have battled ISIS fighters in Achin for months.

The spokesperson for the US military in Afghanistan, Brigadier General Charles Cleveland, confirmed a "counter-terrorism air strike in Achin district" early on Wednesday.

He said allegations of civilian casualties were being investigated.

"We are currently reviewing all materials related to this strike," said Cleveland in a statement. "US Forces-Afghanistan takes all allegations of civilian casualties very seriously."

There was no information on whether it was an attack by a drone or a piloted aircraft.

ISIS first emerged in Afghanistan in late 2014 and has since violently challenged the much larger Afghan Taliban group in parts of the country's east.

But the fighters have steadily lost territory in recent months because of stepped-up US air strikes and a ground campaign by Afghan forces in Nangarhar.

They are confined to two or three districts including Achin, according to Afghan and US officials.

Civilian and military casualties caused by Nato forces have been one of the most contentious issues in the 15-year campaign against armed groups, prompting harsh public and government criticism.

A US air strike killed eight Afghan policemen earlier this month in southern province of Uruzgan in the first apparent "friendly fire" incident since American forces were given greater powers to strike rebel fighters in June.

Read more on:    afghanistan

Join the conversation!

24.com encourages commentary submitted via MyNews24. Contributions of 200 words or more will be considered for publication.

We reserve editorial discretion to decide what will be published.
Read our comments policy for guidelines on contributions.
NEXT ON NEWS24X

Inside News24

 
/News
 

Man scores date with tennis superstar after Twitter bet

It’s a modern day Cinderella story, but one American man took ‘shoot your shot’ seriously in 2017.

 
 

You won't want to miss...

Who are the highest paid models of 2017?
10 gorgeous plus-sized models who aren't Ashley Graham
5 top leg exercises for men
10 best dressed men of 2017
Traffic Alerts
Traffic
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.
 
English
Afrikaans
isiZulu

Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Settings

Location Settings

News24 allows you to edit the display of certain components based on a location. If you wish to personalise the page based on your preferences, please select a location for each component and click "Submit" in order for the changes to take affect.




Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.