Wrongful conviction no surprise to Kansas black community

2017-10-24 12:15
Lamonte McIntyre walks out of the courthouse in Kansas City with his mother Rose. (Tammy Ljungblad,  The Kansas City Star via AP, File)

Lamonte McIntyre walks out of the courthouse in Kansas City with his mother Rose. (Tammy Ljungblad, The Kansas City Star via AP, File)

Multimedia   ·   User Galleries   ·   News in Pictures Send us your pictures  ·  Send us your stories

Wichita - Rose McIntyre says she wonders whether her refusal to grant regular sexual favours to a white detective prompted him to retaliate against her black son, who spent 23 years in a Kansas prison for a double murder he didn't commit.

"I do believe that if I had complied with his request for me to become his 'woman', that my son would likely not be in prison," she said in a 2014 affidavit.

Her son, Lamonte McIntyre, 41, walked out of a court hearing on October 13 a free man after Wyandotte County District Attorney Mark Dupree asked that charges from the 1994 murders be dismissed because of "manifest injustice".

The case has outraged, but not surprised, the poor black community of Kansas City and highlights why many African-Americans do not trust police and the US criminal justice system.

"In my community, this is a norm," Lamonte McIntyre said on Saturday in a telephone interview. "We are not shocked or surprised at the injustice or the brutality ... of law enforcement. This is an everyday life for us."

Documents made public during an 8-year effort to exonerate Lamonte McIntyre, allege homicide detective Roger Golubski used his power to prey for decades on African-American women, including Rose McIntyre.

Lamonte McIntyre was 17 when he was given two life sentences for the 1994 murders of Doniel Quinn, 21, and Donald Ewing, 34.

They were shot in broad daylight as they sat in a car in a drug-infested neighbourhood of Kansas City. No physical evidence linked him to the crime, and he didn't know the victims.

Rose McIntyre recounted in her affidavit that Golubski coerced her into a sexual act in his office in the late 1980s and then harassed her for weeks, often calling her two or three times a day, before she moved and changed her phone number.

"He had total power, and I was terrified that he would try to force me again to provide sexual favours," she said in the affidavit. "I also knew that there was no one I could complain to, as Golubski was known to be very powerful in the community and in the police department."

Read more on:    us

Inside News24

Traffic Alerts
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.


Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.

Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.