Body of boy who starved to death found clinging to dead mother's body

By Kim Abrahams
08 June 2017

Pictures of the little boy and the scene have now finally been released.

The body of a four-year-old boy was found with his arms still wrapped around his dead mother’s body.

Chadrack Mbala Mulo is said to have starved to death over the course of two weeks after his mother, Esther Eketi-Mulo, suddenly suffered an epileptic fit and died.

Chadrack was mute and autistic and couldn’t raise an alarm or fend for himself when the tragedy struck last year around 1 or 2 October.

He slowly starved to death before police discovered him, still clinging to his deceased mother’s badly decomposed body, on 20 October in their flat in Trelawney Estate in Hackney, north London.

Chadrack Mbala Mulo. Photo: Facebook Chadrack Mbala Mulo. Photo: Facebook

Mary Hassel, the official who led the inquest into the deaths, determined the cause of Chadrack’s death to be dehydration and malnutrition.

“Chadrack had learning difficulties and, when his mother died unexpectedly at home on 1 or 2 October 2016, he did not know how to call for help or feed himself properly," Hassel said in her report.

“The likelihood is that Chadrack lived alone in the family home for over a fortnight after his mother’s death.

“He was found a couple of days after his own death, with his arms around her body.

“She was by then very decomposed.”

Neighbours of the mother and son, who moved to England from Congo, opened up to the Hackney Gazette about this horrific incident.

They initially thought the strong smell coming from their flat was Esther’s cooking.

Read more: The shocking source of the ‘bad smells’ permeating the halls of Helen Joseph hospital

“It’s heartbreaking,” a 35-year-old neighbour, who asked to remain anonymous, tearfully told the Gazette.

“It has haunted me for a long time, that I could have helped, and I didn’t know.

“I have a little boy and Chadrack only just needed feeding and watering. He passed away because he was hungry, not because something happened to him.

“I keep thinking to myself: ‘Did I hear him? Did I hear him next door?’ But he never spoke. Never. He just hid behind his mum and held onto her clothes. He couldn’t even call out or speak through the letterbox.”

Read more: Risk for autism higher when parents are older

The four-year-old boy is said to have been absent from his school, Morningside Primary, since 30 September 2016.

The investigation found that the school only had a telephone number for Esther, but no other family member or friend.

The primary school has now determined they require three cellphone numbers from a learner’s family members or friends.

“If there is no answer at the family home when staff members attend, they now immediately contact the police, who in most cases are likely to force entry,” Hassell further said in her report.

Friends have now reportedly set up a fundraising page to help cover the costs of their funerals.


Find Love!