(Photo by Gallo Images/Alet Pretorius)
- Javett Art Centre is hosting a webinar to examine art institutions and the role they play in perpetuating toxic masculinity.
- To do this the hosts will consider the origin of frameworks used by art institutions.
- The webinar will be hosted by Tshilumba Jean-Sylvain and Courtney Williams.
Presented by Tshilumba Jean-Sylvain and Courtney Williams this webinar will look at the ways in which the artistic archive has been conceptualised by the pre and post European Enlightenment era. Jean Sylvain is Belgian-based researcher and art practitioner while Williams is a strategist and director at the equity strategy firm Urban Fireworks.
While women work to affirm their agency the ancient white, heterosexual, cisgendered frameworks in art continue to be at work. Consider how the global #MeToo Movement highlighted the violence of revered men in the art world.
In this webinar the hosts consider art institutions and the role they play in perpetuating toxic masculinity through the consideration of two questions:
1. How have contemporary art spaces challenged the historical preference for men as art genius?
2. Have art institutions located in Africa continued to perpetuate European ideals or have they begun creating inclusive spaces?
Details about the webinar
- Time: 11am on 14 August 2020
- Location: Zoom
- Link: https://zoom.us/j/92234690635
For more information click here