London — Buckingham Palace says Prince Philip, 95, will no longer carry out engagements starting this fall.
A statement released by the palace said: "His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh has decided that he will no longer carry out public engagements from autumn this year. In taking this decision, the Duke has the full support from the Queen."
The statement added that Prince Philip will still attend previously scheduled appointments from now until August but will not be accepting any new invitations for visits or engagements thereafter.
He may however, still choose to attend certain public events from time to time.
Her Majesty the Queen will continue with a full schedule of engagements with the support of the Royal Family.
See the full statement here:
The announcement comes after an emergency meeting for all royal household staff was called on Wednesday.