Canada won't be paying for Harry and Meghan's security anymore

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle (Photo: Getty Images)
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle (Photo: Getty Images)

The Canadian government says they won't be paying for Harry and Meghan's protection detail going forward.

The royal couple, who recently relocated to Canada after stepping down as senior members of the royal family, have not only lost their HRH titles but also their sovereign funds with their decision to become financially independent.

They said in a statement last week which revealed new details about their Spring 2020 transition, "It is agreed that The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will continue to require effective security to protect them and their son. This is based on The Duke's public profile by virtue of being born into The Royal Family, his military service, the Duchess' own independent profile, and the shared threat and risk level documented specifically over the last few years."

As is customary, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police have been providing security for Harry and Meghan, as they're obligated to, because the North American country forms part of the Commonwealth for which Queen Elizabeth is the Head of State, according to ITV News.

Now, according to statement released on Thursday, they will no longer be doing so.

Speaking to CBC News, Public Safety Minister Bill Blair, said, "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex choosing to relocate to Canada on a part-time basis presented our government with a unique and unprecedented set of circumstances. The RCMP has been engaged with officials in the U.K. from the very beginning regarding security considerations.

"As the Duke and Duchess are currently recognised as Internationally Protected Persons, Canada has an obligation to provide security assistance on an as-needed basis. At the request of the Metropolitan Police, the RCMP has been providing assistance to the Met since the arrival of the Duke and Duchess to Canada intermittently since November 2019. The assistance will cease in the coming weeks, in keeping with their change in status."

Harry and Meghan will officially step down on 31 March, and it appears from 1 April, the couple may be funding their own security detail with their newfound freedom.