Harry and Meghan send unprecedented letter cutting off British tabloid press for good

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry (Photo: Getty Images)
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry (Photo: Getty Images)

It seems no matter how far they go, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle just can’t escape the scrutiny of the British tabloid press.

As a result, on Sunday the Duke and Duchess of Sussex issued a letter to four publications, namely, the Sun, Daily Mail, Mirror and Express, cutting communication and leaving "zero engagement" between them and the couple who will no longer "offer themselves up as currency for an economy of clickbait and distortion".

Though the couple said they believe the media can "shine light on dark places, telling stories that would otherwise go untold, standing up for what’s right, challenging power, and holding those who abuse the system to account", that has not been the case.

The letter, therefore, read: "It is gravely concerning that an influential slice of the media, over many years, has sought to insulate themselves from taking accountability for what they say or print – even when they know it to be distorted, false, or invasive beyond reason. When power is enjoyed without responsibility, the trust we all place in this much-needed industry is degraded.

"There is a real human cost to this way of doing business and it affects every corner of society," they said, in a similar sounding letter they issued in 2019 when they announced they’d be taking legal action against the press.

"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have watched people they know – as well as complete strangers – have their lives completely pulled apart for no good reason, other than the fact that salacious gossip boosts advertising revenue."

They stood firm, concluding: "This policy is not about avoiding criticism. It’s not about shutting down public conversation or censoring accurate reporting. Media have every right to report on and indeed have an opinion on the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, good or bad. But it can’t be based on a lie."

The letter comes after Harry and Meghan officially stepped down as senior members of the royal family at the end of March before relocating to Los Angeles. The move also comes just months after they revealed Meghan would be taking on the Mail on Sunday after they published excerpts from a private letter sent to her father. According to The Guardian, a virtual hearing for that case is set to take place on Friday.

In October last year, Prince Harry likened the press' reporting on Meghan to that of his mother, Princess Diana.

He wrote: "Unfortunately, my wife has become one of the latest victims of a British tabloid press that wages campaigns against individuals with no thought to the consequences – a ruthless campaign that has escalated over the past year, throughout her pregnancy and while raising our newborn son.

"There is a human cost to this relentless propaganda, specifically when it is knowingly false and malicious, and though we have continued to put on a brave face – as so many of you can relate to – I cannot begin to describe how painful it has been."