- The royal family honoured the soldiers who've died fighting for their country on Remembrance Sunday.
- A wreath was laid on behalf of the queen and Prince Philip, while Her Majesty watched from the balcony of the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office building.
- Though the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were unable to join the family, they visited the Los Angeles National Cemetery to pay their respects.
- Prince Harry served in the army for ten years, rising to the rank of Captain and completing two tours in Afghanistan.
Every year the royal family pay their respects to the soldiers who've fallen in the two world wars and other conflicts at a service at the Cenotaph – a national shrine in memory of those lives lost.
Prince Charles laid a wreath at the Cenotaph on behalf of the queen on Sunday, while another was laid on behalf of Prince Philip. Prince William, Prince Edward and Princess Anne also laid wreaths, while Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, Kate Middleton, Sophie, Countess of Wessex and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence joined the queen to watch the service from the balcony of the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office building.
View this post on Instagram
“May the memory of their sacrifice and bravery remain with us always.” Her Majesty The Queen led the nation in remembrance to all those who have died in two world wars and other conflicts at the #RemembranceSunday service at the Cenotaph. The Prince of Wales laid a wreath at the Cenotaph on behalf of The Queen this #RemembranceDay A wreath was also laid on behalf of The Duke of Edinburgh. The Duke of Cambridge, The Earl of Wessex, The Princess Royal and The Duke of Kent all laid wreaths at the Cenotaph which serves as a national shrine to the memory of all lives lost in war. The Duchess of Cornwall, The Duchess of Cambridge, The Countess of Wessex and Vice Admiral Sir Tim Laurence joined Her Majesty to watch the service from the balcony of the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office building. #WeWillRememberThem #LestWeForget Photograph ©1-8 @pa, 9 © @markacuthbert
The ceremony took place following the queen's visit to the Unknown Warrior at Westminster Abbey earlier in the week, and the Duchess of Cornwall's opening of the Field of Remembrance - a task usually carried out by Prince Harry.
Though Harry and Meghan's move to the USA prevented the Duke of Sussex from being at the service with travel bans to the UK in place amid the pandemic, he did request the royals lay a wreath on his behalf, having served in the army for 10 years and completing two tours of Afghanistan.
His request was denied, reportedly because he no longer represents the royal family, according to The Sunday Times.
The Duke of Sussex made sure he honoured his fellow soldiers though, stepping out with Meghan Markle on Sunday to lay flowers picked from their garden at the graves of two Commonwealth soldiers at the Los Angeles National Cemetery. Harry also laid a wreath that said: "To all of those who have served, are serving. Thank you."
The news comes following Harry's appearance on the podcast Declassified, in which he spoke about the British tradition of wearing a poppy. He said he does so for "the soldiers I knew, as well as those I didn't". "The soldiers who were by my side in Afghanistan, those who had their lives changed forever, and those that didn't come home," he added.
"I wear it to celebrate the bravery and determination of all our veterans, and their loved ones, especially those in our Invictus family. These are the people and moments I remember when I salute, when I stand at attention and when I lay a wreath at the Cenotaph," he said.
Harry and Meghan laid flowers picked from their garden at the graves of two Commonwealth soldiers - one from the Riyal Australian Airforce and one from the Royals Canadian Artillery. And Harry laid a wreath. He wrote “To all of those who have served, are are serving. Thank you.” pic.twitter.com/jZ5MYwRR71— Chris Ship (@chrisshipitv) November 8, 2020