Cape Town – From the jet plane controversy to their decision to keep Archie's christening private – the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been hounded by the British press for months – but they won't stand for it any longer.
In a heartbreaking statement, His Royal Highness wrote earlier this week, "As a couple, we believe in media freedom and objective, truthful reporting. We regard it as a cornerstone of democracy and in the current state of the world – on every level – we have never needed responsible media more.
"Unfortunately, my wife has become one of the latest victims of a British tabloid press that wages campaigns against individuals with no thought to the consequences – a ruthless campaign that has escalated over the past year, throughout her pregnancy and while raising our newborn son."
Prince Harry said, "There is a human cost to this relentless propaganda" before adding, "though we have continued to put on a brave face – as so many of you can relate to – I cannot begin to describe how painful it has been."
He continued, "My deepest fear is history repeating itself. I've seen what happens when someone I love is commoditised to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person. I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces."
In that same statement, he revealed the couple's decision to sue the Mail on Sunday over the publication of a private letter Meghan wrote to her estranged father, Thomas Markle.
A spokesperson from Schillings who is representing the royal explained they are suing over "the misuse of private information, infringement of copyright and breach of the Data Protection Act 2018".
Further to these ongoing proceedings, news broke on Friday that Prince Harry has decided to sue The Sun and Mirror for allegedly hacking and illegally intercepting voicemail messages.
"We can confirm that the Duke of Sussex has issued a claim," News Group Newspapers, which publishes The Sun said in a statement without elaborating, reports AFP, while BBC royal correspondent Jonny Dymond said, "The presumption is this goes back to the phone-hacking scandal of the early 2000s."
According to Byline Investigates, the second publication the duke is suing, assuming the unlawful acquisition dates back that far, may also see Piers Morgan come under fire as he took on the role of editor at Mirror at the time.
He's denied any involvement but, at the same time, hasn't made any attempt to hide his feelings towards the royal couple.
According to Daily Beast, he's bitterly alleged Meghan "ghosted" him after first initiating a friendship and has since written ruthlessly about Her Royal Highness. After Harry's statement earlier this week one of his headlines on the Daily Mail read, 'Stop playing the victim, Harry - you and Meghan brought the negative press on yourselves, and just when you turn things around, you ruin it all.'
Piers referenced Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan's successful trip to Africa when he spoke of them turning things around - but His Royal Highness was well aware of the fact that even that wouldn't matter to the press.
In his statement, perhaps even predicting Piers Morgan's column, Prince Harry wrote, "The positive coverage of the past week from these same publications exposes the double standards of this specific press pack that has vilified her [Meghan] almost daily for the past nine months; they have been able to create lie after lie at her expense simply because she has not been visible while on maternity leave. She is the same woman she was a year ago on our wedding day, just as she is the same woman you've seen on this Africa tour."
He continued, "For these select media this is a game, and one that we have been unwilling to play from the start. I have been a silent witness to her private suffering for too long. To stand back and do nothing would be contrary to everything we believe in."