Thomas Markle breaks silence with first televised interview since Sussex split: 'I think they've hurt the queen'

Thomas Markle, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry (Photo: Twitter/Good Morning Britain and Getty Images)
Thomas Markle, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry (Photo: Twitter/Good Morning Britain and Getty Images)

Cape Town – Thomas Markle appeared on Good Morning Britain on Monday in his first televised interview since Harry and Meghan's split from the royal family.

After discussions with the queen, Prince Charles and Prince William, Her Majesty released a statement saying while she supports Harry and Meghan's decision, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex would no longer receive any royal funds for the monarchy and would have to completely step back from royal duties.

They would also lose their HRH titles while Prince Harry is set to lose his official military appointments as well.

Harry and Meghan initially wanted to take on similar roles to lower-ranking royal members such as Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie, and still be able to represent the queen while moving between the UK and North America, though the queen's decision means that's no longer possible for the Sussexes.

READ MORE HERE: Here's who will likely take over Harry and Meghan's roles in the royal family

Breaking his silence, Thomas Markle told GMB's Piers Morgan and Susanna Reid, "I think they've hurt the queen. I think they've hurt the royals – and it just doesn't work to be going to another country and serving England. It's never going to work."

"I'm a little embarrassed for them," he added. "I'm very sorry for the queen."

SEE A CLIP FROM HIS INTERVIEW HERE:

Thomas also told GMB he doesn't think the public and press' scrutiny has anything to do with racism while adding he has tried reaching out to Meghan on many different occasions, including sending letters to Doria Ragland to pass on to their daughter.

"For me, there is no other way to reach them," the 75-year-old said of his decision to do interviews. "I pretty much will give an interview and wait for 30 days for some kind of answer back. If I don't get one back, then I'll try another interview. That's about the only shot I have."

GMB presenter, Charlotte Hawkins tweeted Thomas's comments from his interview revealing what he'd say to his daughter if he knew she was listening. "I love you, let's sit down and work this out," he said.

As for Harry, his message is "Man up and fly down and see me."

Thomas's interview with GMB comes shortly after his controversial Channel 5 documentary Thomas Markle: My Story aired in the UK last week. Royal fans were outraged by the retired TV lighting director's comments.

"I'm 75 years old. It's time to look after daddy," he said in the 90-minute feature.

He also admitted, unashamed, he was paid for the documentary. "I'm going to defend myself, and I'm going to be paid for it. I don't care. At this point, they owe me," he said. "The royals owe me. Harry owes me. Meghan owes me. For what I've been through, I should be rewarded."

READ MORE HERE: Thomas Markle to Meghan in controversial new documentary: 'It’s time to look after daddy'