Nu Metro cinemas have put a stringent plan in place in their theatres in response to the coronavirus pandemic.
On Sunday President Cyril Ramaphosa declared the outbreak of Covid-19 a national state of disaster and called on the management of malls, entertainment centres and other places frequented by large numbers of people to bolster their hygiene control.
In a statement to Channel24, the cinema chain said that they will remain open and that they are taking several steps to ensure that their customers' health remains their number one priority.
HERE'S WHAT THEY ARE DOING:
1. Encouraging social distancing by introducing at least 1 metre of distance between booked seats. This has been introduced on an automated system, where customers are automatically separated by 2 'buffer' seats on either side of their selection. These buffer seats disappear and are then unavailable for other guests to purchase. In this way, the cinema capacity is capped at below 100 visitors, in compliance with the recommended specifications from the South African Government.
2. Customers have direct access to hand sanitiser and are encouraged to sanitise regularly. Sanitiser will be placed at cinema access points and 70-80% of all other areas in each of their complexes nationwide.
(Infographic illustrating the new policy)
3. Sanitising seat armrests, cup holders, and tables before every show and also disinfecting high-touch point areas such as kiosks, self-service terminals, serving counters, door handles, rails, benches, booths and bathroom areas.
4. In addition to nightly deep cleaning to disinfect all hand-contact surfaces, they are increasing the frequency of cleaning and disinfecting all high-touch point areas throughout the day. Door handles, ticket counters, as well as service counters, are being disinfected every 30 minutes during business hours.
5. They have retrained all their staff members in thorough and frequent hand-washing – targeting fronts, backs, wrists and between fingers – with soap and water for at least 20 seconds every time
Compiled by Leandra Engelbrecht