1. On 7 October 1959, Eric and Julie Cowell welcomed little Simon into the world. The happy day took place in Brighton, East Sussex (England, of course).
2. It's reported that naughty Simon attended 16 schools because of bad behaviour, but eventually he dropped out at age 16.
3. Simon never did play well with others. After school he took a job as a runner on the set of Stanley Kubrick's The Shining, but he didn't get along with the bosses so he quit. Testy, testy...
4. Daddy then came to the rescue. Simon's dad was an executive at EMI Music Publishing and managed to convince someone to give his bratty kid a gig in the mail room. It turned out quite well for him, we think...
5. After climbing the ladder at EMI, in the 1980s he and his boss Ellis Rich left to form E&S Music.
6. Many jobs and partnerships later, Simon found himself so deep in debt in 1989 that he had to move back in with his parents.
7. Things eventually got better. In 2002 Simon formed another label called Syco Music. Leona Lewis and Il Divo, amongst other X Factor contestants, are released on Syco.
8. Simon judged the first British Pop Idol contest in 2000. This is where he first displayed his meanie demeanour. He joined the American Idol panel in 2002.
9. In 2003, Simon published an autobiography called I Don't Mean to be Rude, but... What an apt, but predictable title. He details his life in the music business and also gives tips for being successful.
10. Wonder why he's so grumpy? He claims that he often has "dark moods and miserable thoughts". Well thanks for clearing that up, Captain Obvious.
11. Simon says that Christina Aguilera's Beautiful is one of the best pop songs ever made.
12. All that frowning takes its toll! Simon says that he has used botox.
13. Simon says that British Prime Minister David Cameron has the "substance and the stomach to navigate us through difficult times".
14. Simon makes an appearance in Shrek 2 as a judge on Far Far Away Idol, proving that every talent competition needs a Simon Cowell.
15. £120 million. That's how much money Simon has made from The X Factor and other shows.
16. He hijacked a bus with a toy gun firing peas. He was 12 years old. He was arrested for that.
17. The charge didn't stick, but the love of peas did. Simon is a vegetarian.
18. Talk about a snub! He is the only American Idol judge without a star on The Hollywood Walk of Fame.
19. His favourite brand of cigarettes is Kool. How... uncool.
20. It's no secret that Simon loves wearing T-shirts, particularly loose, ratty ones. That doesn't mean he's above labels. He owns over 30 black Armani T-shirts.
21. Maybe he is a nice guy deep down inside. He is the godfather of pop artist Sinitta's adopted children.
22. He dated Terri Seymour from 2002 until 2008. It's believed that they broke up because Simon didn't want to shack up.
23. He's now engaged to makeup artist Mezhgan Hussainy. They met on the set of American Idol. Cute.
24. Simon is launching the US version of The X Factor on 11 September, 2011. Definitely a date to remember.
Sources: Wikipedia, The Sun