- According to reports, a Wipeout contestant died after completing an obstacle course on the show.
- A spokesperson for TBS, which airs Wipeout, said the network was "devastated" to have learned of the man's death.
- The cause of death has not been revealed.
A contestant on reality TV competition Wipeout has allegedly died after completing the show's obstacle course.
According to reports, the incident took place on Wednesday. After being attended to by paramedics on set, the contestant later died in hospital.
CBS News says the deceased was a man in his 30s. A cause of death has not yet been revealed, and the man's name had been withheld until relatives were notified, the publication writes.
In a statement obtained by CNN, a spokesperson for TBS, the network which airs Wipeout, said: "We are devastated to have learned of his passing, and our deepest sympathy goes out to the family."
Sources close to the production reportedly told the publication that Wipeout contestants have to undergo a medical examination before participating in the show.
Similarly, E! News reports that the Wipeout production team is "well equipped" with medical staff and a safety producer while filming is underway.
Wipeout is a game show which sees contestants traverse extreme obstacle courses in an attempt to win a cash prize.
The show aired from 2008 to 2014, and in 2020 was picked up again by TBS.
Compiled by Nikita Coetzee