Sonia Mbele releases statement after son Donell is accused of physical and sexual assault

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Sonia Mbele
Sonia Mbele
Photo: Gallo Images/Oupa Bopape
  • Sonia Mbele has released a statement following allegations made against her son, Donell.
  • On Tuesday, Reokeditswe Makete shared photos on social media, claiming Donell had been physically and sexually abusive towards her. 
  • "Donell will face his demons and take accountability for his actions and let the law take its course," Sonia said in the statement.


Actor, writer and film producer Sonia Mbele has released a statement following allegations made against her son, Donell.

On Tuesday, Reokeditswe Makete shared photos on social media, claiming Donell had been physically and sexually abusive towards her. 

In a tearful video, Makete claims he had kicked her out of her social media accounts and deleted posts she was sharing to stop her from revealing the information.

On Wednesday, Mbele shared a statement on her social media, addressing the topic that has since gone viral.

"From the age of 17 to 26, I was with a man who was abusive, physically, psychologically and emotionally," the actor wrote. "I'm mentioning this so that you understand that as a woman who has suffered ALL kinds of abuse, I do not stand for, support or condone such stance."

Mbele continues, announcing her support for Makete: "I not only welcomed Reokeditswe Makete into my home, but I treated her as a daughter and worked with her in support of her career in the entertainment industry, and right now, I would like to reassure her that she still has my love and full support."

Regarding her son, Mbele wrote that while she should have taken preventative measures, Donell will be held accountable for his actions.

"I now realise I should have taken preventative measures much earlier, such as counselling and/or child therapy, but sometimes the mistake we tend to make as African single mothers is to assume and hope that things will work out for the best meanwhile certain past behaviours can affect generations to come," the writer explained.

"With that said, Donell will face his demons and take accountability for his actions and let the law take its course. I refuse to raise a man like his father. Rehab, therapy and internal healing will prevail."

READ THE FULL STATEMENT HERE:

Donell has since deleted all of his social media accounts. It is not known if a legal case has been laid against him.

News24 has reached out to Sonia Mbele, Donell Mbele and Reokeditswe Makete for comment and will add once it has been received.


We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE