DA says Alec Baldwin Rust settlement has no impact on possible criminal charges

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
This handout image courtesy of Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office and part of the investigative files, shows actor Alec Baldwin being processed after the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.
This handout image courtesy of Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office and part of the investigative files, shows actor Alec Baldwin being processed after the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins.
Photo: Santa Fe County Sheriff's Office/AFP
UPDATE: 6 October - 10:30

A New Mexico prosecutor on Wednesday said a settlement between actor Alec Baldwin and the family of the cinematographer he shot during filming of the Western Rust in 2021 had no impact on her eventual decision whether to file criminal charges in the case.

"If the facts and evidence warrant criminal charges under New Mexico law then charges will be brought. No one is above the law," the office of New Mexico First Judicial District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies said in a statement on the proposed settlement of the civil suit brought by the Hutchins family.



Alec Baldwin and producers for the Western Rust have reached a settlement with the estate of the movie's cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, who was shot dead on set during filming last year, Deadline reported on Wednesday, citing a statement from Hutchins' husband.

"We have reached a settlement, subject to court approval, for our wrongful death case against the producers of Rust, including Alec Baldwin and Rust Movie Productions, LLC. As part of that settlement, our case will be dismissed," Matthew Hutchins was quoted by the entertainment news website as saying.

Hutchins added, "The filming of Rust, which I will now executive produce, will resume with all the original principal players on board in January 2023."

Film director Joel Souza, who was also injured in the shooting, is also expected to return to the film, per CNN.

Baldwin shared the outcome of the settlement on Instagram on Wednesday.

"We are pleased to announce today the settlement of the civil case filed on behalf of the family of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins," he wrote alongside a screengrab of Deadline's report. "Throughout this difficult process, everyone has maintained the specific desire to do what is best for Halyna’s son. We are grateful to everyone who contributed to the resolution of this tragic and painful situation."

Investigators focused on the "many individuals" who handled the pistol Baldwin fired during a rehearsal, killing Hutchins and injuring Souza on 21 October 2021.

Baldwin has been named in several lawsuits concerning Hutchins' death. The 64-year-old actor has argued in court papers that an indemnification clause in his contract shields him from personal liability.


We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE