Princess Charlene of Monaco to undergo four-hour operation in South Africa

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Princess Charlene
Princess Charlene
Photo: Pascal Le Segretain/Getty Images

Princess Charlene of Monaco will undergo an operation in her home country of South Africa, officials said on Friday, as speculation grows over her absence from the principality and the state of her marriage.

"Princess Charlene will undergo Friday a four-hour operation under general anaesthesia," said a statement from the office of her husband Prince Albert II, without giving further details of the procedure.

Albert and their children will join her there during her recovery, the statement added.

In recent weeks, lifestyle magazines across Europe have speculated feverishly that the royal couple could be headed for divorce.

Charlene has been in South Africa for months, with media reports suggesting she is looking for a house there.

She underwent "multiple, complicated procedures after contracting a severe ear, nose and throat infection in May," as specified by her foundation.

Charlene previously shared with Channel24 what a "trying" time this has been for the family. "I miss my husband and children dearly," she said.

The former South African Olympic swimmer Charlene Wittstock married Albert in 2011. Their son Jacques is now next in line to head the 700-year-old House of Grimaldi.

Albert is the son of Prince Rainier III and Grace Kelly, an American film star who died in a car accident in 1982.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24