Katlego Maboe's ex Monique Muller speaks out amid court case

0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Katlego Maboe, Monique Muller (Photo: Instagram/Katlego Maboe)
Katlego Maboe, Monique Muller (Photo: Instagram/Katlego Maboe)
  • Monique Muller has broken her silence amid an on-going court case involving her former partner, Katlego Maboe.
  • "I'm so tired of this narrative they're trying to portray and have come out to counter it," Monique said.
  • Katlego’s lawyer said "all parties were warned not to communicate with the press".

Monique Muller has broken her silence amid an on-going court case involving her former partner, Katlego Maboe.

News24 reported earlier this week that Maboe was arrested on 2 January 2021 in Pinelands for contempt of court and appeared in the Goodwood Magistrate's Court on 6 January 2021.

The details of the case are not known.

On Wednesday Monique told TimesLive reporter Chrizelda Kekana in an exclusive interview that coverage about their situation had been turned into a "public slander campaign".

The couple had a very public split at the end of 2020 after a video appeared online in which Katlego was seen confessing to having an affair. Katlego later released a statement on social media saying: "I was unfaithful to my partner during a very important time of our lives - an act I regret to this day."

He added: "In light of the comments made against me, I would like to state that I have never abused my partner. I have always and will always stand up against the abuse of women and children - in fact, the abuse of anyone for that matter. I had chosen to deal with this matter privately to protect and safeguard our child. At the end of the day, our child is all that matters to me. However, I will leave this to the legal system and let the truth have its day."

According to Rapport, Monique obtained a protection order against Katlego on 3 September 2020 in Sea Point, Cape Town. 

'I'm tired of this narrative'

According to Monique she finds it "bizarre" that people think she's looking for attention with the allegations she's levelled against Katlego. She added: "I'm so tired of this narrative they're trying to portray and have come out to counter it."

Monique, who says she was legally warned by the court not to make comments to the media, added: "I feel like when I am quiet, they win in the court of public opinion by ruining my reputation and painting me to be a person I am not. I can no longer allow that to happen."

Monique has also taken to her personal Instagram account to make her voice heard.

In several Instagram Story posts she shared screengrabs of alleged conversations between Katlego's lawyer, Ellen Louis, and her family. 

Monique's family said the messages they received were hurtful and have logged a complaint with South Africa's Legal Practice Council against Ellen. 

In a statement to News24, Ellen said: "I have never communicated with Monique Muller directly, but have requested her family to please stop sending my client messages and to address issues through her lawyer."

Monique responded to Ellen's statement on Instagram saying: "Also false, a pathetic excuse for harassing my family. We have a child together, one family member is a contact person. Proof is with the LPC." In another post Monique labelled the messages as "threats and racist remarks". 

'This matter is currently on trial'

Regarding the court case against Katlego, Ellen told News24: "My client did not have to appear in court as the charges were false and vexatious and the senior prosecutor decided that there is no merits in the charges.

"This matter is currently on trial and all parties were warned not to communicate with the press, therefore we can't give any further comments as it will prejudice my client."

Maboe's publicist Lerato Maleswena told News24 that the allegations made against her client were "false and are an attempt by his former partner to harass and victimise him in order to cause him emotional harm, as well as reputational and economic damage".

She said the matter was being heard in the Magistrate's Court and was currently sub-judice.

"No further comment can be made and any party making comments to the media or publishing any allegations can be held in contempt of court," she warned.

After the scandal broke Katlego was removed from the Expresso Morning Show and his Outsurance ads pulled from air.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24