- Multichoice has launched its new DStv Explora Ultra decoder.
- The company has partnered with Netflix to include it in its offering to DStv subscribers.
- The new Explora will go on sale next week and will cost R2 499.
MultiChoice has launched its new DStv Explora Ultra decoder that will go on sale from next week, and that will offer DStv subscribers access to video streaming services Netflix and Showmax.
The new DStv Explora Ultra has a recommended retail price of R2 499 for just the decoder, and R3 699 when it includes installation.
The new streaming carousel carries Showmax and Netflix, with MultiChoice that will roll out and populate the carousel with more third-party streaming services as time goes on.
MultiChoice will offer DStv subscribers the option of subscribing and unsubscribing to Netflix through the new decoder with the monthly Netflix charge that will be added in rand to their monthly bill. It's not yet clear how much the various Netflix packages through DStv will cost. Existing Netflix subscribers will also be able to use the decoder to sign into their Netflix account and watch Netflix that way.
Calvo Mawela, MultiChoice CEO, says: "The DStv Explora Ultra has a range of amazing features developed to cater for how our customers watch content today.
"It delivers seamless enjoyment of broadcast, recording, streaming, downloaded and Catch Up content in one easy-to-use environment. The Explora Ultra makes it easier than ever before to find, explore and enjoy new content from across DStv channels and third-party streaming apps.
"Shifting consumer preferences and technological advances drive changes in the way video entertainment services are provided and consumed. This partnership leads with an expanded choice of content, ease and convenience of subscription and payment with the DStv Explora Ultra as an enabler."
Noaf Ereiqat, Netflix's director of business development says: "We're excited about this partnership with the MultiChoice Group, bringing Netflix to the Explora Ultra set-top-box will make it easier for our members to seamlessly stream their favourite Netflix shows. That's a win for avid entertainment fans in South Africa."
- The device offers built-in Wi-Fi capabilities and supports 4K Ultra HD and Dolby Atmos for a clearer, more defined picture quality and enhanced cinema sound.
- A completely redesigned interface, which simplifies discovering and navigating DStv’s dynamic content on TV and on demand.
- Introduction of a sleek new DStv remote making searching for content even easier.
- Integration of app-based streaming services including Showmax, and Netflix with more third-party streaming services to follow.
- DStv customers will have the option to pay for their Netflix subscription in their monthly bill. The inclusion in the bill will be available to DStv customers who want to become Netflix subscribers.
- Recommended retail price of R2499 for the standalone device and R3699 including installation, available to purchase at participating retail stores.
- The DStv Explora Ultra is wholly manufactured in South Africa, its enclosure is made of 100% recycled material and packaging contains no single-use plastics.