Star Wars releases statement of support for Moses Ingram following 'horrendous' online attacks

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article


  • Star Wars has condemned the racist attacks against Moses Ingram following her debut in the Disney+ series Obi-Wan Kenobi.
  • The 29-year-old said that she received hundreds of messages, some of them using racist language.
  • Star and executive producer Ewan McGregor said in a video: "There's no place for racism in this world. And I totally stand with Moses."


Star Wars has released a statement against racism in support of Moses Ingram.

Ingram made her debut in the science fiction franchise as Reva in the Disney+ series Obi-Wan Kenobi.

READ MORE | Moses Ingram as Inquisitor Reva in Obi-Wan Kenobi: A galaxy where Jedi are no longer welcome

After the show premiered on the streaming service on Friday, the 29-year-old shared the messages she received on Instagram, some using racist language and questioning why she was hired, according to E! News.

"There's nothing anybody can do about this. There's nothing anybody can do to stop this hate," she said in a video on the platform.

"The thing that bothers me is this feeling inside of myself, that no one has told me, but this feeling that I have to shut up and take it, that I have to grin and bear it. And I'm not built like that. So, I wanted to come on and say thank you to the people who show up for me in the comments and the places that I'm not going to put myself. And to the rest of y'all, y'all weird," per The Guardian.

On Tuesday, the official Star Wars account tweeted: We are proud to welcome Moses Ingram to the Star Wars family and excited for Reva's story to unfold. If anyone intends to make her feel in any way unwelcome, we have only one thing to say: we resist.

Another tweet added: "There are more than 20 million sentient species in the Star Wars galaxy, don't choose to be a racist."

SEE THE TWEETS HERE: 

On Wednesday, Ewan McGregor who is the star and executive producer of the show also condemned the racist attacks against Ingram in a video.

"It seems that some of the fan base has decided to attack Moses Ingram online and send her the most horrendous, racist [direct messages]. I heard some of them this morning, and it just broke my heart," he said.

He added, "Moses is a brilliant actor. She is a brilliant woman. And she is absolutely amazing in this series. She brings so much to the series; she brings so much to the franchise. And it just sickened me to my stomach that this had been happening."

"I just want to say, as the lead actor in the series, as the executive producer on the series, that we stand with Moses. We love Moses. And if you're sending her bullying messages, you're no Star Wars fan in my mind. There's no place for racism in this world. And I totally stand with Moses."

WATCH THE FULL VIDEO HERE: 

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
Editorial feedback and complaints

Contact the public editor with feedback for our journalists, complaints, queries or suggestions about articles on News24.

LEARN MORE