Share

ANC members accused of selling food parcels, giving them to friends

accreditation
Food parcels have been handed out to those in need during the lockdown. Picture: iStock/Gallo Images
Food parcels have been handed out to those in need during the lockdown. Picture: iStock/Gallo Images

Complaints are streaming in about the sale of food parcels at excessive prices and alleged preferential treatment being given to friends and families of ANC members when it comes to distributing food aid.

This comes in the midst of increasing complaints of discrimination by undocumented immigrants when it comes to handing out the food parcels.

In Calvinia in the Northern Cape, angry residents took to the streets on Wednesday.

They blocked roads, started fires and refused to practise social distancing, claiming that only ANC voters were receiving food parcels, said DA MPL Gizella Hartnick-Opperman.

“That is the case everywhere – in my municipality, Hantam and the Karoo Hoogland.”

On Thursday, former ANC MP Makhosi Khoza tweeted that she was being overwhelmed by phone calls from people in KwaZulu-Natal who were claiming that ANC council members were handing out food parcels to friends and family.

In Gauteng, officials from the department of social development have been accused of dropping off parcels at the homes of their families.

Abram Mashishi, chairperson of the SA National Civic Organisation in Tshwane, has laid a charge of corruption against the department at Silverton Police Station in Pretoria.

He said officials were pretending to be distributing parcels across Tshwane.

In Gauteng, officials from the department of social development have been accused of dropping off parcels at the homes of their families

“But they are only going to certain parts, such as Mamelodi, while the rest of Tshwane suffers,” he said.

Poverty-stricken communities in Eersterust, west of Mamelodi, complained that they were not receiving food parcels.

On Friday, the DA mayoral candidate in Tshwane, Randall Williams, accused the city’s new administrator, Mpho Nawa, of violating lockdown regulations by holding an “interest group” meeting to distribute food parcels to ANC military veterans.

“The DA has known for some time that Nawa is a deployee of the ANC. Prioritising ANC military veterans above elderly people who are desperate for food is despicable,” said Williams.

Nawa denied this, saying the meeting was held with 10 delegates to discuss a memorandum that had been handed over to the city.

“It was not partisan. It was aimed at giving the interest groups a chance to discuss the city’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic.”

Williams said the DA had been reliably informed that former ANC councillors were selling food parcels for R50 in Soshanguve, despite written instructions to all councillors telling them to stay away from food parcels.

According to reports by online newspaper Daily Maverick, food parcels in Bloemfontein have been selling for R1 200.

These parcels contain just 1kg of sugar, a tin of sardines, a loaf of bread, maize meal and a head of cabbage.

The DA has known for some time that Nawa is a deployee of the ANC. Prioritising ANC military veterans above elderly people who are desperate for food is despicable
Randall Williams, DA mayoral candidate in Tshwane

Owen Zima, a Malawian who has lived in the township of Olievenhoutbosch for 16 years, said some foreign nationals had been asked to show their South African identity documents to receive food parcels.

The same thing happened to two Zimbabweans, Sam Moyo and Elmon Mncube.

The ANC did not respond to questions dealing with complaints by foreign nationals.

Panyaza Lesufi, Gauteng’s MEC for education and the acting MEC for social development, indicated that undocumented migrants first needed to get their papers in order at home affairs.

Mashishi said that, while the request for an ID document to be produced was standard procedure when beneficiaries were being signed up, people should be treated more humanely given the current crisis.


We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24
heading
description
username
Show Comments ()
Latest issue
Latest issue
All the news from City Press in PDF form.
Read now
Voting Booth
Stats SA's recent consumer price index data this week indicated the rise in food prices was the largest in 14 years. Economists say continued load shedding also adds to the rise in the cost of food production. How are you feeding your family during this tough time?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
I have a food garden
6% - 18 votes
I rely on sales
24% - 72 votes
I buy necessities
70% - 207 votes
Vote