ANC MP rape case: Mother and stepmother don’t believe daughters, court hears

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
The wife of a prominent ANC politician and the mother of eight-year-old twins that the politician and his stepson allegedly raped do not believe that the children were violated, the Nelspruit Magistrates’ Court heard. Picture: iStock
The wife of a prominent ANC politician and the mother of eight-year-old twins that the politician and his stepson allegedly raped do not believe that the children were violated, the Nelspruit Magistrates’ Court heard. Picture: iStock

NEWS


The wife of a prominent ANC politician (48) and the mother of eight-year-old twins that the politician and his stepson (26) allegedly raped do not believe that the children were violated, the Nelspruit Magistrates’ Court heard on Wednesday.

The politician, a former MEC and MP, and his stepson appeared in court to apply for bail.

They will, however, stay in detention for another week because Magistrate Suzan Monaledi will only issue a verdict on their application next week Wednesday.

It is common knowledge that if your biological mother does not trust you, no one will
Investigating officer Sergeant Solomon Mbokodo

Mpumalanga police arrested the duo on September 28 and they have been fighting to get bail since.

Investigating officer Sergeant Solomon Mbokodo told the court that the girls’ mother, who lives in Cape Town, and their stepmother did not believe the girls’ story and that was the reason he did not try to interview more family members.

“The children said the perpetrator is their father and their stepbrother but when we interviewed the mother and stepmother they said they don’t believe them. It is common knowledge that if your biological mother does not trust you, no one will,” Mbokodo said. He also indicated that the mother threatened to sue social workers after the girls were taken to a place of safety.

Read: Former MP, MEC arrested for allegedly raping his daughters

The duo’s lawyer, Advocate Mduduzi Nkosi, told the court that the mother did not have money to travel to Nelspruit and she got the money from the politician’s wife, who sent it via e-wallet.

Nkosi also told the court that the case was “politically-motivated”.

Nkosi argued that the politician should be given bail because he had properties worth about R14.4 million, was running an NGO that paid the fees of hundreds of tertiary students, and fed orphans and the elderly.

“There’s more to this case than meets the eye. There’s influence in this case that may be politically-driven. Just look at the fact that the media was aware before the [bail] applicants were arrested, and suddenly the ANC releases a statement naming the applicant before even seeking legal advice to find out if it was correct to do so or not,” Nkosi said.

Last week Mpumalanga ANC acting secretary, Lindiwe Ntshalintshali, named the politician in a scathing statement and conducted TV interviews. Ntshalintshali also announced that the accused’s membership had been suspended.

Read: Ntshalintshali blows R348 000 of taxpayers' money on hotel stay

However, prosecutor Advocate Catherine Mnisi, quashed any insinuation that there was collusion against the politician.

“Instead of us colluding, it must be the mother and stepmother because they are sending each other money,” Mnisi said.

Nkosi argued that the politician should be given bail because he had properties in Matsulu, Steiltes suburb in Mbombela and White River worth about R14.4 million, and that he was running a non-governmental organisation that paid fees for hundreds of tertiary students, fed orphans and the elderly.

He also argued that the politician had a chronic illness, which he was not sure would be managed properly in detention.

The stepmother, mother and the two men have been interdicted from contacting the girls who are in a place of safety.

The court heard that there was no DNA results linking the two men to the rape.

Mbokodo said that he had applied for an order to obtain the girls’ medical records from the family doctor.

Outside the court a group of people, some wearing ANC regalia, spent the day chanting in support of the politician.

But another group, clad in EFF regalia, also chanted against the granting of bail.


facebook
twitter
linkedin
instagram

Sizwe sama Yende 

Journalist

+27 11 713 9001
sizwe.yende@citypress.co.za
www.citypress.co.za
69 Kingsway Rd, Auckland Park
We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
The Electoral Commission of SA (IEC) has accepted the report by former Deputy Chief Justice Dikgang Moseneke proposing that South Africa’s local government elections be postponed to February.
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
I was looking forward to the elections in October
50% - 4 votes
Postponement makes sense
38% - 3 votes
They should be later than February
13% - 1 votes
Vote