Eastern Cape premier is the latest to test positive for Covid-19

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Premier Oscar Mabuyane. Picture: Lubabalo Ngcukana
Premier Oscar Mabuyane. Picture: Lubabalo Ngcukana

NEWS


Eastern Cape Premier Oscar Mabuyane is the latest head of a province to test positive for the Covid-19 coronavirus.

This was announced by his spokesperson, Mvusiwekhaya Sicwetsha on Thursday afternoon, when he said that Mabuyane had flu symptoms and this prompted him to take a Covid-19 test, which turned out to be positive.

Other premiers who have previously tested positive include North West’s Job Mokgoro, Gauteng’s David Makhura and Alan Winde of the Western Cape.

“When his test results came back positive, Premier Mabuyane started informing his family members, staff in his office and some of the people he had met with recently about his test results and encouraging those who might be feeling similar symptoms to take Covid-19 tests ... for them to know their health status,” he said.

Sicwetsha said Mabuyane was isolating at home where he would continue with his official duties using technology for meetings and for communicating with his office, members of the executive council, leadership of the local and national government, and other stakeholders.

The evidence suggests that the increases in the Eastern Cape could have been triggered by outbreaks in institutions of higher learning such as universities and schools, and by attendance by people at large gatherings.
President Cyril Ramaphosa

He said all the events and programmes that the premier was going to attend and visit had been postponed.

“The provincial government wishes Premier Mabuyane a speedy recovery as he isolates at home, and we will support him through this recovery process,” said Sicwetsha.

The news about Mabuyane’s positive test result comes a few hours after President Cyril Ramaphosa’s expression of concern on Wednesday evening about the signs of a resurgence in the Eastern Cape.

Read: Eastern Cape on high alert as second Covid-19 wave looms

At the same time the country learnt with shock of the passing of former Nelson Mandela Bay Metro mayor, Mongameli Bobani, due to Covid-19.

The metro has seen a resurgence of the virus, with fears that a second wave has come already, given reports that ICU beds are full.

During his televised address to the nation on Wednesday, Ramaphosa said that, in the last week, the number of new cases in the province had been 50% higher than the week before, and that the total number of new cases in the last 14 days had been around 145% higher than the previous 14 days.

We will be working closely with the provincial government, municipalities and other institutions in the Eastern Cape in the coming days and weeks to ensure that this surge is contained and managed.
President Cyril Ramaphosa

“These increases are being driven by massive spikes in the Nelson Mandela metro and the Sarah Baartman District in particular. For the last month, there has been a sustained upward increase in hospital admissions in the province.

“The evidence suggests that the increases in the Eastern Cape could have been triggered by outbreaks in institutions of higher learning such as universities and schools, and by attendance by people at large gatherings. When this is combined with poor adherence to social distancing and mask wearing, and other poor hygiene measures, the environment for rising infections is set,” said Ramaphosa.

He said that, with many people moving between the Eastern Cape and other provinces – particularly the Western Cape – it was a matter of time before the surge spread to other parts of the country.

“We therefore need to take measures to contain the rise in infections ... we are implementing the resurgence plan that has been developed together with the surge team deployed to South Africa by the World Health Organisation.

Read: Ramaphosa extends UIF and Ters payment by a month, relaxes alcohol trade and international travel restrictions

“Interventions include primary healthcare outreach teams to intensify contact tracing, daily community mobilisation, ensuring the readiness of health facilities and being ready to respond to possible cluster outbreaks.

“We will be working closely with the provincial government, municipalities and other institutions in the Eastern Cape in the coming days and weeks to ensure that this surge is contained and managed. What we are witnessing in the Eastern Cape should be a wake-up call to all of us that we cannot relax and we cannot be complacent,” said Ramaphosa.


facebook
twitter
linkedin
instagram

Lubabalo Ngcukana 

Journalist

+27 11 713 9001
lubabalo.ngcukana@citypress.co.za
www.citypress.co.za
69 Kingsway Rd, Auckland Park
We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
With less than two weeks to go to election day, political parties are ramping up their campaigning, bringing out influencers and celebs at their rallies. Do you think bringing out DJs, celebs and musicians will work to win votes?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
I'm not influenced
91% - 10 votes
A gig is gig
9% - 1 votes
Need more of it
0% - 0 votes
Vote