Fransman accuser ‘shocked’ but won’t take dropped charges ‘lying down’

accreditation
ANC Western Cape chairperson Marius Fransman. Picture: Yunus Mohamed
ANC Western Cape chairperson Marius Fransman. Picture: Yunus Mohamed

ANC Western Cape chairperson Marius Fransman’s accuser is shocked and disappointed at the outcome of the case against him. 

This after the sexual harassment case against Fransman, opened in January, was dropped due to lack of evidence. 

Louisa Wynand (21) accused Fransman of sexual harassment while they travelled to the North West for the African National Congress’s birthday rally in Rustenburg. 

Speaking through a publicist, Wynand said she was sent a WhatsApp message on Thursday evening, informing her of the decision. 

“I am shocked and disappointed at the outcome of the investigation. My life has changed so much because of this incident and has affected, not only me, but my family and close friends. I, together with my legal team, am confident that I gave the police enough evidence relating to the charges I brought against Marius Fransman,” she said. 

She said she was confused as to why they said there was not enough evidence. 

“I am confused as to why they say there is not enough evidence. But I will not take this lying down. I have met with my legal team to discuss my options. And I will exercise my rights. I plan to take a few steps this week of which I will inform the public.” 

The Stellenbosch woman said she had decided to go public with her identity so that young women and children could see that it could happen to anyone. 

“Our rights need to be protected. I am blessed to have incredible men around me, but there are monsters out there who are breaking down our women and children. 

“I believe that this is my journey and if this is the universe using me to reach out to other victims of sexual assault, then so it shall be,” she said. 
Plot against Fransman 

Meanwhile, an ANC branch chairperson has alleged that the sexual harassment case against Fransman was a set-up. 

In an affidavit written under oath, ANC member and Titana branch chairperson Sandile Booysen has accused Boland regional secretary Jonton Snyman as being behind the plot. 

Snyman, who was expelled by the ANC in the province in October last year and then reinstated in March, has been accused of arranging for the complainant to lay a charge against Fransman. 

Fransman was earlier this year asked to step aside by the party after he was accused of sexually harassing a woman during the party’s January 8 celebrations in Rustenburg. 

Booysen’s affidavit details a night out in February, where Booysen, Snyman and Titana branch deputy secretary Tsietsi Mtyole “socialised” in Wellington. His affidavit is backed by Titana branch deputy secretary Tsietsi Mtyole, who was allegedly with Booysen when Snyman told them of the plot. 

Booysen said Snyman never missed an opportunity to express his “severe dislike and hatred of Marius Fransman”. 

“At one point [during the evening], he started referring to the sexual harassment complaint that was made against Fransman after the national celebration in Rustenburg. He disclosed to us that he planned and orchestrated the complaint against Marius Fransman. 

“He indicated he knows the lady from Stellenbosch and arranged that she must lay a false complaint against Marius Fransman,” Booysen said in the affidavit. 

He said Booysen was very emphatic that Fransman would be expelled and Snyman would be reinstated. 

Booysen said this revelation was very worrisome to him and Mtyole. 

The two said they had approached Fransman, but he told them they should decide how to handle the matter. 

Snyman did not respond to calls and SMSes for comment. 

Booysen told News24 yesterday that he had decided to come forward because he felt Snyman was tarnishing the image of the party. 

Fransman said he felt vindicated that someone had come forward, because he had always maintained that this was all part of a plot to discredit him. – News24

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
A new report by the Electoral Integrity Project, which looks at the quality of electoral integrity worldwide, has identified South Africa as having the second-highest level of integrity in its elections in Africa. Do you agree with the report?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
No
45% - 65 votes
Yes
27% - 39 votes
We should be first
28% - 41 votes
Vote