Former Kaizer Chiefs midfield anchor Willard Katsande has allegedly accepted R60 000 from the man who assaulted him during a bloody road rage incident that took place in Roodepoort, west of Johannesburg.
In August 2021, Katsande opened a case of assault at the Honeydew Police Station after the assailant, identified as Jacobus Koekemoer, had allegedly shown the veteran footballer the middle finger, which led to an altercation resulting in injuries to his arm and the vandalisation of his car.
Koekemoer was subsequently granted R1 000 bail, after appearing at the Roodepoort Magistrates’ Court.
National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Phindi Mjonondwane confirmed that Katsande had been involved in an alternative dispute resolution management (ADRM) process.
READ: Katsande’s alleged assailant gets R1 000 bail
“The accused paid the damages to the complainant. We can confirm that the matter was finalised on June 1 by way of ADRM,” she said.
According to Katsande’s statement to the police, which City Press has seen, the altercation was allegedly sparked by Koekemoer who allegedly showed Katsande offensive gestures.
The police statement reads:
Last week, the 35-year-old Sekhukhune United midfielder took to social media, revealing that his car had been hijacked near the Southgate Mall, in the south of Johannesburg.
He told his followers that the hijackers had sped off with his BMW X6, and robbed him of three iPhones, as well as R9 700 cash. The tracking company had recovered the car, however, although he was told it had been damaged.
Katsande pleaded with people who had ordered merchandise from him to bear with him since the merchandise had been taken with the car.
Calls to solicit Katsande’s comments were unsuccessful, as his phone rang unanswered.