Thousands of people in Limpopo are on the verge of starving to death.
The Covid-19 lockdown that has forced millions of people to stay in their homes has revealed their urgent need for food.
The provincial department of social development said it had registered more than 90 000 households that were in need of food and were unable to fend for themselves because of the lockdown.
Witness Tiva, department spokesperson, said more than 40 000 households had been given food aid, adding that the process was ongoing.
He appealed to ordinary citizens for help.
“We have distributed food parcels to 43 000 households through social relief and Sassa [the SA Social Security Agency],” he said.
“We have made good progress since we established a provincial food bank operated by community development workers, social workers and traditional leaders, who ensure the distribution of food parcels is well coordinated.”
The main challenge was that some councillors were not coordinating the distribution of food. But, he said, the councillors were now cooperating.
“Councillors identify those who are in need and our social workers go to do an assessment. Officials then distribute the parcels,” he said.
Initially, there had been reports of isolated cases of some councillors using food parcel distributions for their own selfish gains.
– Mukurukuru Media
Get in touch
|Rise above the clutter | Choose your news | City Press in your inbox|
|City Press is an agenda-setting South African news brand that publishes across platforms. Its flagship print edition is distributed on a Sunday.|