Another top Gauteng health department official suspended as PPE scandal probe deepens

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Gauteng Premier David Makhura emphasized that the provincial government was investigating all sectors, including infrastructure, for those implicated in the PPE corruption.  Picture Felix Dlangamandla
Gauteng Premier David Makhura emphasized that the provincial government was investigating all sectors, including infrastructure, for those implicated in the PPE corruption. Picture Felix Dlangamandla

POLITICS


Gauteng Premier David Makhura revealed on Thursday that Andile Gwebani, the deputy director-general of human resources and corporate services in the health department, had been suspended for his alleged involvement in the irregular personal protective equipment (PPE) tenders.

This decision was taken after a recommendation by the Special Investigating Unit (SIU) presented to Makhura last week Monday.

The premier receives a weekly investigation report from the unit and takes action when he is required to.

“I am satisfied with the progress that the SIU is making. Disciplinary action is underway as well as action by law enforcement. Each week they give us referrals. I am very interested to know if our officials have been implicated in wrong doing. I am interested if any of our colleagues benefited from [PPE] procurement,” the premier said.

Makhura said that the accounts of 20 more companies had been frozen, bringing the total to 61

Makhura was speaking at the weekly Gauteng briefing on Thursday morning.

On Wednesday he placed Professor Mkhululi Lukhele, the head of the department of health, under precautionary suspension.

“The SIU found that the head of department failed to exercise his responsibility in the awarding of contracts to certain companies for the procurement of goods and services in relation to the government’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic. The actions, or omission by the head of department may have resulted in the department incurring fruitless and wasteful expenditure,” the statement read.

Read: Gauteng PPE looting probe leads to suspension of health department head

Lukhele will remain on suspension until the SIU investigations and disciplinary proceedings for misconduct are complete.

In addition, the premier said that the accounts of 20 more companies had been frozen, bringing the total to 61.

Makhura emphasized that the Gauteng government was investigating all sectors, including infrastructure, for those implicated in the PPE corruption.


facebook
twitter
linkedin
instagram

Queenin Masuabi 

Political Journalist

+27 11 713 9001
Queenin.Masuabi@citypress.co.za
www.citypress.co.za
69 Kingsway Rd, Auckland Park

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
The Electoral Commission of SA (IEC) has accepted the report by former Deputy Chief Justice Dikgang Moseneke proposing that South Africa’s local government elections be postponed to February.
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
I was looking forward to the elections in October
39% - 94 votes
Postponement makes sense
46% - 110 votes
They should be later than February
14% - 34 votes
Vote