The Eastern Cape’s ANC provincial working task team said administrative issues have led to the conference being postponed until further notice.
In a letter addressed to regional and provincial structures dated April 21, provincial task team coordinator Lulama Ngcukayitobi wrote that the issues they were facing may hinder the progress of the conference and needed to be attended to by organisational structures.
The party was set to hold the provincial conference from Friday until Sunday.
“The provincial working task team meeting of April 19 considered a readiness report of the provincial conference. These include many disputes from branches that are still before the provincial and national dispute resolution committees.
The letter read:
The party’s Eastern Cape structures had been in the midst of a row over unresolved disputes, which led to the verification report not being signed by the party’s treasurer-general, Paul Mashatile.
A group of party members were set to interdict the conference, with at least two law firms writing to the provincial leadership regarding members’ grievances.
Speaking about provincial conferences at the launch of the party’s Letsema Campaign in the Free State, which aims to renew the party, ANC spokesperson Pule Mabe said they had to make sure that all ANC processes were followed to avoid disgruntled members taking the legal route.
READ: Former ANC politician out on bail for vigilantism charges forms own party and says ‘people love me’
“So, we are now forced to apply ourselves more vigilantly when it comes to arranging these conferences to make sure that we are prudent that those who attend our conferences are legitimate members.
“In eThekwini, there were threats again of people going to the courts.”
In the Eastern Cape, current chairperson Oscar Mabuyane, who is also the premier, is facing off against Babalo Madikizela for the position. Despite the official reasons for the postponement, some supporters of Madikizela were not convinced by the stance and wanted the conference to proceed.