Zuma’s lawyers quit – just four weeks before his arms deal corruption trial starts

0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Former president Jacob Zuma. Picture: Neville Hopwood/ Getty Images
Former president Jacob Zuma. Picture: Neville Hopwood/ Getty Images

POLITICS


There is uncertainty whether former president Jacob Zuma’s arms deal corruption trial, due to start in four weeks’ time, will proceed after his legal team quit on Wednesday.

Mabuza Attorneys filed the formal notice of withdrawal as Zuma’s attorneys in the Pietermaritzburg High Court in KwaZulu-Natal on Wednesday indicating that they would no longer be representing him.

“Be pleased to take notice that Mabuza attorneys hereby withdraw as the attorneys on record for accused number 1 [Zuma],” reads the brief notice.

Attorney Eric Mabuza’s firm was appointed in April last year after Zuma fired Daniel Mantsha who had represented him since 2018.

READ: ‘Only option left is to incarcerate Zuma,’ says Ngcukaitobi

While the notice did not provide reasons for quitting, City Press understands that the move effectively means that Zuma will

also lose the services of Advocate Muzi Sikhakhane, who has been leading the defence of his corruption trial set down for May 17 in Pietermaritzburg.

The withdrawal comes a week after the Supreme Court of Appeal dismissed Zuma’s appeal against a high court judgment that found that the state was not liable to pay for his legal costs.

Zuma was appealing a personal costs order by the Pretoria High Court in December 2018. It related to his failed bid to have former Public Protector Thuli Madonsela’s State of Capture report reviewed.

The report led to the establishment of the commission of inquiry into state capture chaired by Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo.

The appeals court upheld the ruling that Zuma was not entitled to state funding for his corruption trial, effectively ordering him to pay back about R25 million in taxpayers’ money already spent on the trial.

READ: Zuma corruption trial finally set to be heard in May

It’s unclear whether the legal team’s withdrawal was motivated by last week’s ruling, but in previous court appearances related to the arms deal corruption allegations, Sikhakhane said they had taken on the matter notwithstanding that Zuma could not afford to pay their legal costs.

After years of delays, Zuma’s arms deal-related corruption trial was finally set down for next month. He and French company Thales face corruption, racketeering and money laundering charges linked to the multimillion-rand arms deal.

Zuma may now ask for a postponement to allow him to find and brief new lawyers.


facebook
twitter
linkedin
instagram

Delivering the 

news you need

+27 11 713 9001
news@citypress.co.za
www.citypress.co.za
69 Kingsway Rd, Auckland Park


We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
ANC secretary-general Ace Magashule has written a letter suspending party president Cyril Ramaphosa in apparent retaliation after he was served with a letter of suspension on Wednesday.
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
He doesn't have the power
39% - 78 votes
It’s a declaration of war
20% - 40 votes
Nothing but a distraction
42% - 84 votes
Vote