Abraw dispute still causing uproar

Camaldine Abraw (Supplied)
Camaldine Abraw (Supplied)

The Camaldine Abraw dispute is far from over.

The Togolese striker is accused of signing two separate contracts with Kaizer Chiefs and Bloemfontein Celtic.

Celtic feel that – despite Togolese striker being registered as a Chiefs player on transfer deadline on Monday – he should not kick a ball until his case is settled.

They have applied to the league to bar him from playing.

Celtic chief executive Khumbulani Konco told City Press they had appealed the decision to register Abraw as a Chiefs player while the case was still pending.

“The DRC [dispute resolution chamber] recommended the PSL check whether Chiefs were right to sign the player considering he had signed a precontract with us. Again, the DRC asked the league to determine whether the player was right to sign two contracts with different teams. And lastly, the league was told to verify if it was true that we signed him without notifying his previous club, [Free State] Stars. But we were surprised to learn that he has been registered as a Chiefs player.

“We want to know under which circumstances this was done.

“What if the league suspends him or rules that he belongs to us? He should not play until the matter is completely settled.

“We reserve our rights to take it further,” said Konco.

He said they would never drop the matter and would go to the highest court, if the need arose.

However, Chiefs are adamant they were within their rights to register the player.

Chiefs football manager Bobby Motaung said Abraw was eligible to play and it would be up to the technical team to decide whether they fielded him or not.

“The league has issued him with a playing card and he can play anytime if our technical team wants to use him. What is happening is off the field and we can’t stop him from working,” said Motaung.

He said the DRC had made recommendations and not sanctions.

“The league was ordered to carry out further investigation as to whether we did everything above board or not. They never said the player should not play,” said Motaung.

The PSL refused to comment on the matter.

Meanwhile, Tsepo Masilela will this week meet with Safa in a bid to avoid heavy sanctions.

Masilela faces a ban from the association after failing to report to the Bafana Bafana camp last week.

Fifa rules allows Safa to restrict the player from taking part in any football activity for five days after the international week for failing to report for national duty.

However, Chiefs football manager Bobby Motaung told City Press that they would meet with Safa to tell their player’s side of the story.

He said they had received correspondence from the association regarding a possible disciplinary hearing for the 30-year-old defender

Latest issue

July 2020

Latest issue
All the news from City Press.
Read now
Voting Booth
South African truck drivers have threatened to not return to work and instead allow foreign nationals to be at the forefront of the trucking industry should employers continue with their preferential hiring tendencies/ if things don’t change.
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Agree. Put SA first
46% - 35 votes
Foreigners have rights
17% - 13 votes
It smacks of Xenophobia
37% - 28 votes
Vote