Bafana Bafana head coach Molefi Ntseki has delayed announcing the squad for South Africa’s friendly matches against Zambia and Namibia next month.
The announcement was set for Wednesday when Ntseki was scheduled to name the team for the friendlies on October 7 and 11.
Safa said the announcement was called off to seek clarity from government about relaxed lockdown regulations on international football under level 1.
Domestic sport will be allowed under new restrictions but no international sport has been cleared to place yet.
Following President Cyril Ramaphosa’s announcement last week that the restrictions would be relaxed, there have been contradictions regarding international sports events.
On Friday Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs Minister Dr Nkosana Dlamini-Zuma said that “international sports was still not allowed”.
Safa spokesperson Dominic Chimhavi said the association was hoping to get clarity from Sport, Arts and Culture Minister Nathi Mthethwa.
“We have had to hold back the Bafana squad announcement so that we can clarify a few things with government,” Chimhavi said on Wednesday.
“The new regulations will be announced on Friday so we will know more then. We didn’t want to break protocol and make an announcement that contradicts government. We are confident everything will go well and we will make the squad announcement on Monday.”
Bafana will be preparing for a double clash against São Tomé and Príncipe in next year’s Afcon qualifiers on November 13 and 16.