There are few things quite as enjoyable as a good chicken wing or drum stick, that is if you haven’t yet switched to a plant-based diet.
Ours is a country with a strong culture of meat-eating, and chicken ranks highly among the most enjoyed meats by the local palate.
Here are five things you didn’t know about our chicken consumption:
1. South Africa ranks number 10 in the top 10 poultry meat consumers (kg/per capita) in the world.
2. The local poultry industry is not only the biggest agricultural industry, contributing about 60% of all the meat consumption in the country, but we love our chicken so much that KFC SA sells more than 13 147km worth of chicken wings per year – that’s enough to pave a road from Cape Town to London, UK!
3. Demand for chicken is expected to rise to 1.93 million tons this year, which should be further exacerbated by the Covid-19 coronavirus. Annually, the cold season brings with it an increase in demand for the comforts of chicken and an increase in wing consumption is usually seen, compared with the other seasons.
4. July 29 is International Chicken Wing Day
5. Wings were first introduced to the KFC menu internationally in 1990, but only became a permanent item on the menu in the US in 2019. In South Africa, however, we’ve been enjoying the wing permanently since 2007.