Gift an article

David vs Goliath: Sovereign Africa ratings takes on big guns

accreditation
Share your Subscriber Article
You have 5 articles to share every month. Send this story to a friend!
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
loading...
Loading, please wait...
Fitch Ratings. Photo: Getty Images/Gallo Images
Fitch Ratings. Photo: Getty Images/Gallo Images

BUSINESS

In a case of David vs Goliath, new ratings agency Sovereign African Ratings (SAR) seeks to take on the three largest established agencies. This is the first African ratings agency to be established and it has passed muster with financial authorities in South Africa.

SAR was founded by Plus 94 research agency CEO Sifiso Falala. He will also head the new entity, which aims to be a gamechanger in a space where 95% of the market share is dominated by Fitch Ratings, Moody’s Investors Service and S&P Global – some of them over a century old. SAR will have the remaining 5% of the market share against these established agencies.

Read this for free
Get 14 days free to read all our investigative and in-depth journalism. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed.
Try FREE for 14 days
Already a subscriber? Sign in
2022 Fifa Qatar World Cup
DAYS
HRS
MINS
MORE WORLD CUP NEWS
Latest issue
Latest issue
All the news from City Press in PDF form.
Read now
Voting Booth
As the country marked Fraud Awareness Week from November 13 to 19 ahead of Black Friday, the Southern African Fraud Prevention Service has warned people about the risk of fraud on social media. What measures have you taken against fraud if you'll shop online?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Nothing, I will shop in-store
54% - 54 votes
I have done my homework and will shop on trusted sites
36% - 36 votes
Not much. I'll get the best deals online and hope for the best
10% - 10 votes
Vote