Steinhoff class action targets Absa

accreditation
Former Steinhoff CEO Markus Jooste. Picture: Jaco Visser
Former Steinhoff CEO Markus Jooste. Picture: Jaco Visser

Absa is being targeted for damages in the Steinhoff scandal due to its involvement in the production of the disgraced company’s 2015 prospectus to shareholders.

VEB, the Dutch nonprofit organisation that has launched a class action against Stainhoff in the Netherlands, gave Absa, Barclays and Commerzbank notices on Wednesday.

The notice “is an invitation to them to consult with VEB about an amicable settlement, failing which VEB may file a class action lawsuit under Dutch process law against the banks,” VEB said.

The banks all provided services to Steinhoff when it was producing two prospectuses in 2015 that preceded its listing in Frankfurt.

“The prospectuses were misleading – VEB questions whether the prospectuses properly represent Steinhoff’s financial position. VEB concludes that the banks have – in their respective roles and capacities – acted wrongfully in respect of Steinhoff investors,” the Dutch group said in a statement.

VEB had earlier told City Press that it might target large firms that provided Steinhoff with services as it seeks to recoup some part of the billions which shareholders lost when the retail company’s share price collapsed in December.

It specifically mentioned auditor Deloitte as a possible source of funds due to its apparent failure to catch the misstatements in the Steinhoff books.

The damage to shareholders was in the region of R200 billion after it was revealed in December that Steinhoff management had cooked the company’s books.

We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
Tourism Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane will act as health minister after President Cyril Ramaphosa placed Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize on special leave while the SIU completes the probe into the irregular Digital Vibes contract. What are your thoughts on this?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Special leave is a whitewash.
40% - 97 votes
SA’s tourism sector needs undivided attention.
4% - 10 votes
Let's wait and see
10% - 24 votes
What is the point of deputy ministers?
46% - 113 votes
Vote