ANC runs out of time as deadline to ‘bring back Job Mokgoro’ looms

Former North West Premier Job Mokgoro delivers his state of the province address at Mahikeng Stadium in February. Picture: Rapula Mancai
Former North West Premier Job Mokgoro delivers his state of the province address at Mahikeng Stadium in February. Picture: Rapula Mancai

Bring back Premier Job Mokgoro, the ANC has been told in a letter served on Wednesday by lawyers representing six members of the party in the province.

The complainants gave Luthuli House 48 hours to respond – which ends today – or face an urgent court interdict to block the newly appointed rapid response team from running the affairs of the province.

Last Saturday the ANC national rapid response team led by Deputy President David Mabuza dissolved the provincial task team led by Mokgoro.

The national executive committee, which is the highest organ between national conferences, appointed Mokgoro’s team last year to run the organisation in the interim after it disbanded former Premier Supra Mahumapelo’s provincial executive committee.

On Saturday the rapid response team formed a new provincial task team led by senior national executive committee member Obed Bapela and Science and Technology Minister Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane. It also included all 55 members of the disbanded provincial executive committee and provincial task team.

The North Gauteng High Court ruled last month the Mahumapelo’s provincial executive committee had been dissolved unlawfully and therefore had to be reinstated with immediate effect.

Read: Supra Mahumapelo faces resistance on return to North West

The national executive committee had intended to appeal the ruling but the decision was shelved in favour of a political solution that could see President Cyril Ramaphosa offering Mahumapelo a public post after the elections.

Read: Minister Mahumapelo? Cyril battles to contain Supra

Ramaphosa is scheduled to address the North West manifesto rally tomorrow in Rustenburg, where more than 40,000 people are expected to attend.

Shuping Attorneys said this week that the rapid response team was not a constitutional structure and therefore it did not have the powers to disband or appoint any other structures.

The lawyers said these powers were constitutionally reserved for the national executive committee.

“Our instruction is that the rapid response team acted outside its mandate and against the constitution of the ANC because the rapid response team lacks authority to circumvent or veto the decision of the national executive committee”.

Shuping Attorneys said that as a result of the rapid response team’s decision, “the organisation in North West is governed by an unlawful structure and all to the detriment of the organisation itself in general and members in particular”.


We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

All your favourite publications in one place.
Read now
Voting Booth
Thousands of Gauteng motorists who refuse to pay their e-tolls could be fined R500 every time they drive under a toll gantry from July next year. In addition, they will have to pay a R100 levy for every one of these fines.
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
e-tolls must be scrapped
75% - 124 votes
I still won’t comply
17% - 29 votes
I’ll do my duty and avoid fines
2% - 4 votes
Good idea to help the economy
5% - 9 votes
Vote