ANC Youth League conference postponed again

accreditation
ANCYL task team convener Thandi Mahambehlala has announced that the party had experienced internal issues which caused the date of the Youth League conference to change from March to May. Picture: (Felix Dlangamandla, Gallo Images, Beeld, file)
ANCYL task team convener Thandi Mahambehlala has announced that the party had experienced internal issues which caused the date of the Youth League conference to change from March to May. Picture: (Felix Dlangamandla, Gallo Images, Beeld, file)

Despite hopeful attempts to convene the conference that was initially set this month, the ANC National Youth League Task Team said that the party will not be ready to deliver.

The conference has now been scheduled for May at the University of Free State in Mangaung, Bloemfontein.

This was announced by the task team convener Thandi Mahambehlala on Monday following the task team meeting at the weekend.

The task team was appointed by the ANC’s national executive committee last year after the ANCYL executive disbanded and was given until this month to convene an elective national conference.

Mahambehlala announced that the party had experienced internal issues which have caused the date to change from March to May.

Branch and membership verification in the provinces were among the reasons causing the conference delays.

“The rebuilding of the ANCYL must be a holistic process that can ensure the participation of young people across the length and breadth of our country.

“Therefore provinces, regions and branches have been granted an opportunity to submit all membership of ANCYL in their possession which corresponds with the December 31 2019 cut-off date,” Mahambehlala said.

Last month, the task team’s coordinator Sibongile Besani resigned after he alleged that there had been mismanagement of processes and being excluded from appointing auditors for the conference.

In his resignation letter, Besani stated his frustrations about how matters were being handled in the party.

“This is a recipe for unnecessary disagreements between myself as coordinator and those who advocate for this tendency. I can no longer own up to statements that carry my name without being consulted and this will consequently undermine the rebuilding of the ANCYL.

“In the context of an emerging environment that seeks to remove me from some of my critical responsibilities, it is prudent that I do not become party to the national youth task team,” read the statement.”

The ANC’s secretary general Ace Magashule rejected Besani’s resignation and ordered him to get back to work.

Mahambehlala denied that the office was divided. She said that the structure was still able to deliver on the mandate of the task team and they were working towards the conference being held in May.


We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
The Electoral Commission of SA (IEC) has accepted the report by former Deputy Chief Justice Dikgang Moseneke proposing that South Africa’s local government elections be postponed to February.
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
I was looking forward to the elections in October
38% - 77 votes
Postponement makes sense
48% - 98 votes
They should be later than February
14% - 29 votes
Vote