‘Arrest Senzo Meyiwa’s murder mastermind,’ says Gerrie Nel

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
The five men accused of killing football star Senzo Meyiwa in the dock the Pretoria High Court on Monday. The trial against the five men has been postponed to April 12. Meyiwa was shot dead eight years ago in Vosloorus. Photo: Rosetta Msimango
The five men accused of killing football star Senzo Meyiwa in the dock the Pretoria High Court on Monday. The trial against the five men has been postponed to April 12. Meyiwa was shot dead eight years ago in Vosloorus. Photo: Rosetta Msimango

NEWS


Five men appeared in the Pretoria High Court on Monday, almost eight years after Orlando Pirates and Bafana Bafana goalkeeper Senzo Meyiwa was gunned down at his then girlfriend Kelly Khumalo’s mother’s house in Vosloorus, east of Johannesburg, on October 26 2014.

The accused’s defence advocate, Zandile Mshololo, argued that the state had contravened the right to a fair trial by not allowing one of the accused, Sifiso Ntuli, to consult with his defence team about new witness statements that will be used during the murder trial.

Mshololo said she had been unable to take instruction from Ntuli to prepare his defence.

READ: Photos from the archive | City Press moments in time

Judge Tshifhiwa Maumela postponed the trial to April 12, further ordering that the state should ensure that the accused are available when required by their legal counsels.

Ntuli was in the dock alongside co-accused Muzikawukhulelwa Sibiya, Bongani Ntanzi, Mthobisi Mncube and Mthokoziseni Maphisa. They are facing charges of murder, attempted murder, armed robbery, possession of an unlicensed firearm and possession of ammunition.

Mshololo said: 

The state provided us with statements at the eleventh hour, and we are unable to consult with accused number five, which clearly goes against his constitutional right to a fair trial and to build his defence case.

Speaking after the matter was adjourned, the head of AfriForum’s legal department, Advocate Gerrie Nel, insisted that more arrests ought to have been made.

“From what I have seen and the briefings I have had from the SA Police Service, I am convinced that we have the correct people in court, but I would have expected more arrests. I would have expected other people to be with them because I have said along that I do not believe that this was a robbery that went wrong.

READ: Gospel extravaganza: One night only with Kelly Khumalo

“As far as I am concerned, the police know who it is. They have finalised the investigation. They are still busy with it, I think here and there. As far as I am concerned, the police have a very good idea of who the mastermind is and I am sure that if the mastermind is not added to the indictment, there will be other indictments in the future.”


facebook
twitter
linkedin
instagram

Delivering the 

news you need

+27 11 713 9001
news@citypress.co.za
www.citypress.co.za
69 Kingsway Rd, Auckland Park
We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
According to a letter Health Minister Joe Phaahla sent to MECs, the country is ready to get rid of masks in public as a health protocol. Is it time to go maskless?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
About time
61% - 166 votes
No
39% - 105 votes
Vote