Legendary musician Sello Chicco Twala has found himself in the middle of yet another court case - this time involving former parliamentarian Mthuthuzeli Vanara and former SABC sportscaster Owen Ndlovu.
Vanara has put Twala at the centre of his legal fight with Ndlovu this week after he claimed he was told by the musician that the former sports commentator travelled to KwaZulu-Natal to hire inkabi (hitmen) for him in December.
This is contained in an affidavit deposed by Vanara in response to an application for a permanent protection order against him by Ndlovu a fortnight ago.
The matter was heard at the Booysens Police Station on Thursday and was postponed to March.
Last month, City Press reported that Ndlovu also opened a case of intimidation against Vanara after he allegedly threatened him through text messages that he was aware that the former sportscaster had hired hitmen and he, in return, got his own hitmen to retaliate.
READ: Inkabi threat in SABC battle
Ndlovu denied that he hired any hitmen and, in turn, obtained a protection order and opened a case against Vanara for threatening him with hitmen.
In his affidavit, Vanara claimed that he was informed by Twala that Ndlovu had been travelling in and out of KwaZulu-Natal during the festive season to get the services of hitmen to hurt him.
Vanara started off by saying that he wanted to dismiss the application for the protection order because his text messages had been taken out of context by Ndlovu.
He also added that he had no personal business with Ndlovu and only started interacting with him on behalf of the SABC in a matter involving a R36 million claim by Ndlovu against the public broadcaster.
He said that the conversation between him and Ndlovu was sparked by a tip-off, which he had received from Twala through WhatsApp messages and a call.
The affidavit read:
“Ndlovu told Twala that I (Vanara) did not know him. Ndlovu threatened violence against me and told Twala that during December 2022, he (Ndlovu) has been in and out of KZN arranging izinkabi to assassinate me,” the affidavit read.
Vanara said Twala indicated that from his observation, Ndlovu was intending on executing his plan.
“Thus, he (Twala) could not live with himself if I got hurt. He urged me to take the matter seriously.”
Vanara said he opened a case against Ndlovu the next day before initiating WhatsApp conversations with him.
In his affidavit, which was deposed on January 26, Twala did not deny warning Vanara against Ndlovu’s alleged threats. He said that he was advised by his daughter to take the matter seriously by informing Vanara.
READ: Madlala contradicts police testimony, reveals Kelly Khumalo denied cops entry to her apartment
He said his daughter advised him to alert Vanara about the threats and he did that.
“Ndlovu had mentioned to me in December that he was travelling in and out of KZN on an urgent matter. He said 2023 was going to be a year where he deals with all those who are harassing him, especially those who owed him millions. I jokingly said, I hope I was not one of the people and he responded by telling me uyabazi (you know them),” Twala said.
He added he hoped that his statement was not seen as him having his differences with Ndlovu, but that he was acting on his daughter’s advice and that he was concerned.
Last month, Ndlovu and his wife, Portia, told City Press that they were living in fear after the former parliamentarian and advocate allegedly promised them that inkabi (hitmen) would come for Ndlovu at the end of January.