E-hailing drivers put a halt to planned strike

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
E-hailing drivers say their stay offline, stay away boycott is suspended until further notice. Photo: Rosetta Msimango
E-hailing drivers say their stay offline, stay away boycott is suspended until further notice. Photo: Rosetta Msimango

NEWS


Despite the threats of a shutdown by e-hailing drivers, the apps from companies like Bolt, Uber and In-Driver seemed to be working as normal on Monday morning.

The Gauteng e-Hailing Partners Council said in a statement in July that they would embark on a “stay offline, stay away” to protest the costs and working conditions associated with e-hailing companies. The strike was meant to start on Monday until such time that their demands were met.

However, Gauteng e-hailing spokesperson Nkosinathi Zwane said the stay away had been called off.

READ: Tips to save on fuel costs

Zwane explained Bolt agreed to sit down with drivers and the department of transport between August 10 and 16 to talk about how to adjust the pricing and commission that partner drivers get.

Said Zwane: 

Uber will not be available on August 10, meaning that pricing will be discussed on August 16 with the rest of the issues tabled during September 26 to 30.

He said that drivers also had concerns regarding the planned strike:

They did not want to lose money by being away from work. We can understand their predicament given the current economic situation in the country.

Bolt driver Dennis Mthunzi said that he had no prior knowledge that there would be a stay away happening on Monday, adding that he was only aware when City Press asked him about it.

Even though he did not intend on participating in the strike, he understood that there was a need for it as prices were not in favour of the drivers.

READ: Expect taxi and e-hailing service fares to rise significantly as fuel price increase bites

“Bolt takes 27% on all rides, even ones that are minimally priced. They want to use us drivers while they are sitting there in the offices and we do most of the work for their company,” said Mthunzi.

Zwane added they had consulted widely and as such, the stay away had to be national. So they needed some time to successfully execute the national stay away.

City Press understands that consultations are ongoing and will update this story when more information comes to light.


We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel anytime and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be billed. 
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
Cricket SA is considering replacing Mark Boucher with two coaches, one for red-ball and the other for white-ball responsibilities. Is this a good move?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
Love the idea
33% - 34 votes
Hate the idea
33% - 34 votes
They must just be local
33% - 34 votes
Vote