EC Treasury probes ‘suspect’ R160m IT tender awarded to Iqbal Survé’s firm

accreditation
Share your Subscriber Article
You have 5 articles to share every month. Send this story to a friend!
Iqbal Survé. Picture: Lerato Maduna
Iqbal Survé. Picture: Lerato Maduna

The Eastern Cape Treasury is investigating allegations that a company with links to the ANC and controversial businessperson Iqbal Survé was recently awarded a questionable R160 million e-learning tender by the province’s department of education.

Pumelele Godongwana, the provincial Treasury spokesperson, on Thursday told City Press that “we are currently engaging the department of education over issues of compliance on this matter. Once we have satisfied ourselves on those, we will be in a better position to respond to your query”.

A source in the provincial education department had initially told City Press that the Sizwe Africa IT Group, which is majority-owned by Survé’s Ayo Technology Solutions, had been awarded an e-learning contract worth R160 million in March.

Support independent journalism
Subscribe to News24 for just R75 per month to read all our investigative and in-depth journalism. You can cancel any time.
Subscribe
Already a subscriber? Sign in

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
President Cyril Ramaphosa has announced that SA’s vaccine passport plans are coming on. What are your thoughts?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
We cannot be forced
28% - 62 votes
It’s critical
25% - 55 votes
Vaccines save lives
47% - 105 votes
Vote