Emfuleni Local Municipality is set to take disciplinary action against at least 33 present and former employees as well as companies implicated in the looting of public funds.
This follows a City Press revelation last month that more than R870 million was wastefully spent by the municipality, leading it going bankrupt and being placed under administration by the Gauteng cooperate governance and traditional affairs department.
City Press has learnt that top officials from supply chain management and the fleet department are among those implicated in a report by forensics company Comperio, which revealed explosive and massive looting within the municipality in the past five years.
Insiders say that the process of issuing suspension letters and disciplinary action to implicated officials who will be facing the music in connection with alleged corruption, misappropriation of funds, tender rigging and flawed tender processes is under way.
“Action will be taken against senior and junior officials who are currently in the employ of the municipality.
“The municipality will also be hunting down former officials who left the employ of the municipality during the investigation [and will be] going after companies implicated in the report through instituting measures to recover money siphoned through irregular appointments and contracts,” said an official at Emfuleni.
Emfuleni municipal manager Lucky Leseane refused to comment, instead referring enquiries to Mayor Gift Moerane.
Mayoral spokesperson Lebo Mofokeng confirmed that action was being taken against the implicated officials.
“We can report to the people of Emfuleni Local Municipality that we are taking all necessary steps to implement consequence management, which is envisaged to recover funds that were incorrectly appropriated.
“We are thankful for the community support and patience,” said Mofokeng in a statement on Saturday.