Enough is enough: Soweto residents commemorate June 16 differently

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Disgruntled Soweto residents participate in a march under the banner of Operation Dudula in Diepkloof in Soweto on June 16 2021 with the aim of closing down all shops owned by undocumented immigrants and to highlight the scourge of drugs. Photo: Tebogo Letsie
Disgruntled Soweto residents participate in a march under the banner of Operation Dudula in Diepkloof in Soweto on June 16 2021 with the aim of closing down all shops owned by undocumented immigrants and to highlight the scourge of drugs. Photo: Tebogo Letsie

NEWS


Soweto residents chose to commemorate the spirit of June 16 1976 under the banner #OperationDudula in an aggressive stance against undocumented foreign nationals.

A contingent of more than 1 000 people met at the Diepkloof Community Hall on Wednesday to air their grievances with the SA Police Service and other law enforcement agencies. Their main gripe was what they referred to as the scourge of nyaope abuse and unemployment, which are rampant in their community.

They claimed they were being sidelined from work opportunities by the municipality which allegedly employed non-South Africans.

Disgruntled Soweto residents participate in a marc
Disgruntled Soweto residents participate in a march under the banner of Operation Dudula in Diepkloof on June 16 2021 with the aim of closing down all shops owned by undocumented immigrants and to highlight the scourge of drugs. Photo: Tebogo Letsie

Community leader Peter Dime stressed that the operation was not against foreign nationals but sought to fight those who sell drugs.

“We want to mark the spirit of Youth Day by addressing issues that affect our community. This is not political. It [campaign] was started by concerned residents who see the lives of their children go down the drain due to drug abuse and unemployment,” Dime said.

He added that the march also sought to encourage law enforcement agencies to help the communities to root out drugs.

Disgruntled Soweto residents participate in a marc
Scores of protestors, young and old, came out in their numbers in support of Operation Dudula in Diepkloof, Soweto, on June 16 2021. Photo: Tebogo Letsie

Delinda Nevilimadi, a 32-year-old unemployed mother of two, told City Press that Youth Day had little meaning to her.

READ: Herman Mashaba vying to return as Johannesburg mayor, this time via ActionSA

Nevilimadi said she was struggling to earn a living. “I had to shut down my business last month because of a lack of revenue,” she said. She added that she would like help to secure funding to complete her studies in beauty therapy.

Disgruntled Soweto residents participate in a marc
Priest Mokesh Morar carrying a cross saying "Stop Afrophobia" before scores of disgruntled Soweto residents marched in Diepkloof, Soweto, with the aim of closing down all shops owned by undocumented immigrants and to highlight the scourge of drugs plaguing the community. Photo: Tebogo Letsie

Thabo Phiri (20) said he came out in support of the march because the police were allegedly failing to arrest the drug dealers.

READ: Homeless in winter in SA: By choice or circumstance?

Phiri said he was tired of watching his peers turn to substance abuse.

“The worrying thing is that we report these matters to the police but no arrests are made. The community knows the perpetrators and I want to join the cause by asking that the police must not turn a blind eye [to these crimes],” he said.

Disgruntled Soweto residents participate in a marc
A large police contingent was present to monitor the Operation Dudula in Soweto on June 16 2021. Photo: Tebogo Letsie

Under the banner of #OperationDudula, some disgruntled Soweto residents have forcefully removed foreign nationals living in the township.

The march was in contravention of Covid-19 regulations. South Africa entered lockdown level 3 on Tuesday night. Under the newly gazetted regulations, outdoor gatherings have been limited to 100 people with adequate social distancing observed.



facebook
twitter
linkedin
instagram

Delivering the 

news you need

+27 11 713 9001
news@citypress.co.za
www.citypress.co.za
69 Kingsway Rd, Auckland Park
We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
The Electoral Commission of SA (IEC) has accepted the report by former Deputy Chief Justice Dikgang Moseneke proposing that South Africa’s local government elections be postponed to February.
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
I was looking forward to the elections in October
40% - 49 votes
Postponement makes sense
50% - 61 votes
They should be later than February
11% - 13 votes
Vote