Further flooding has resulted in delays for the return of patients to parts of the Charlotte Maxeke Johannesburg Academic Hospital that were damaged. Following flooding in several wards on Monday, patients were transferred to other wings of the hospital, with some ending up without beds.
According to Gauteng health department spokesperson Kwara Kekana, the flooding was a result of a burst pipe on level 16 (roof level) on block 5 of the hospital.
According to a professor at the hospital, the pipe burst again on Tuesday, after it had been repaired on Monday. This led to continuing electricity issues on level 8 and some water leaks in areas between the wards on level 8 and level 9, south side. The professor said plans to have patients back in these affected areas had been put on hold for another 24 hours.
Internal communication seen by City Press accused government of failing to provide adequate support to ensure patient care was not disrupted following the flooding of wards at the hospital.
“The one constant thing is the total lack of a sense of support from Gauteng health department, the province and the government,” the communication read.
There was also a suggestion of strike action: “I think it is time to protest.”
Kekana said that infrastructure work was ongoing in the facility, led by the department of infrastructure development and property management as the relevant authority.
"Damaged fuses, breakers and lights were replaced with new components. Electrical circuits are tested for faults before handover to the clinical team as a standard practice.”
Kekana said that the department had not received notice of industrial action.