King vs king: AbaThembu square up in court

King Buyelekhaya chats to Advocate Dali Mpofu. Picture: Lubabalo Ngcukana/City Press
King Buyelekhaya chats to Advocate Dali Mpofu. Picture: Lubabalo Ngcukana/City Press

NEWS


AbaThembu King Buyelekhaya Dalindyebo came face to face with his son, Prince Azenathi, for the first time at the Mthatha High Court on Thursday.

The two royals, who have been at loggerheads over the kingdom, crossed swords at the court after Eastern Cape Premier Oscar Mabuyane removed Azenathi as acting king and reaffirmed Dalindyebo as king.

Azenathi, who was represented by advocate Apla Bodlani, was in court to challenge his removal.

Read: Dalindyebo gets new BMW as he resumes king duties

In his argument, Bodlani told the court that Mabuyane, when doing a review of Azenathi’s acting period, did not “hear him” or give him three months’ notice as contained in the Constitution.

What we want does not have anything to do with the president. The premier was going to conduct a review, not the president.
Advocate Apla Bodlani

The case has attracted legal heavyweights Tembeka Ngcukaitobi and Dali Mpofu, who respectively represent Dalindyebo and the premier and the provincial government.

Bodlani, who also represents first applicant Thandisizwe Mtirara, the chairperson of the AmaDlomo royal family, said they did not want Dalindyebo's certificate of recognition to be removed.

He said the court proceedings had nothing to do with President Cyril Ramaphosa because he was not the one to conduct the review.

Read: Battle between Dalindyebo and son is far from over

“What we want does not have anything to do with the president. The premier was going to conduct a review, not the president. We are not applying for the removal of the certificate of recognition for the third respondent (King Dalindyebo), but we are saying that the second applicant (Prince Azenathi) should have been given three months’ notice,” argued Bodlani

He said Azenathi’s removal from the position of acting king had been done “willy-nilly” by the provincial government, and was not what he signed up for.

Prince Azenathi Dalindyebo
Prince Azenathi Dalindyebo supporters outside the Mthatha High Court demonstrate carrying placards which speak against king Buyelekhaya Dalindyebo. Picture: Lubabalo Ngcukana/City Press

Bodlani also argued how his client’s state-sponsored vehicle was taken away from him without his consent. He was referring to a white Jeep SUV which was used by Azenathi and was taken by the provincial government after his acting period came to an end.

The respondents are expected to present their case later.

Azenathi’s supporters were seen picketing outside the high court, vowing that he would take power.

Inside the court, Dalindyebo and Azenathi sat on opposite sides of the courtroom and barely made eye contact.

Security was tight, with police present inside and outside the courtroom.


facebook
twitter
linkedin
instagram

Lubabalo Ngcukana 

Journalist

+27 11 713 9001
lubabalo.ngcukana@citypress.co.za
www.citypress.co.za
69 Kingsway Rd, Auckland Park
Latest issue

Read now

Latest issue
All the news from City Press.
Read now
Voting Booth
How do you feel about reports that South Africa made generous donations of “medical material supplies” worth tens of millions of rands to the Cuban government?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
SA should come first
80% - 72 votes
Gesture of good faith
8% - 7 votes
SA has Cuba's doctors
12% - 11 votes
Vote