Mpumalanga politician accused of raping twin daughters changes lawyers, bail decision on Friday

accreditation
0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
iStock
iStock

NEWS


An ANC provincial executive member in Mpumalanga will know tomorrow if he will be granted bail or not in his case of allegedly raping his eight-year-old twins.

The 47-year-old politician’s bail application in the Nelspruit Magistrates’ Court was delayed on Thursday after he changed lawyers. The case was then postponed to Friday for a decision on his bail application. The National Prosecuting Authority is opposing bail.

He was arrested on Monday. The department of social development has moved the girls to a place of safety.

Read: Former MP, MEC arrested for allegedly raping his daughters

Social Development MEC Thandi Shongwe said that she was shocked by the allegation. She said it was the first time a senior ANC leader had been accused of such horrendous crime.

“The department is supporting the victims. This is a pandemic [rape] that we must fight. We know it is an allegation, but we want justice to prevail on this matter. Rape is rape, it doesn’t matter what status one has in society,” Shongwe said.

She said that the girls were receiving counselling.

This is the second time the politician as been charged with rape. In 2011, while serving as chairperson of the National Assembly’s communications portfolio committee, he was charged with raping 26-year-old woman.

However, the NPA declined to prosecute due to lack of evidence.

The ANC in Mpumalanga said in a statement that it had learnt with “serious shock and anger” about the rape allegations.

Acting provincial secretary, Lindiwe Ntshalintshali, said the man’s party membership had been suspended.


facebook
twitter
linkedin
instagram

Sizwe sama Yende 

Journalist

+27 11 713 9001
sizwe.yende@citypress.co.za
www.citypress.co.za
69 Kingsway Rd, Auckland Park
We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
President Cyril Ramaphosa has announced that SA’s vaccine passport plans are coming on. What are your thoughts?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
We cannot be forced
31% - 92 votes
It’s critical
24% - 70 votes
Vaccines save lives
45% - 133 votes
Vote