The department of health in Limpopo has confirmed that one of the 13 patients who have contracted cholera is a public servant who travelled to Hammanskraal for training.
The department said the confirmed case was that of a 52-year-old man from Greater Giyani, who works in the Musina area.
He is said to have travelled to Hammanskraal for a workshop during the past few days. He was admitted to a hospital in Gauteng after having symptoms of the virus.
Muavha said cholera was an acute diarrheal illness caused by an infection in the intestine with Vibrio cholerae bacteria.
“Contact tracing at Giyani and Musina was done where screening results cleared everyone.”
The department strongly requests community members to practise general hygiene, as well as water and food hygiene by:
- Washing hands regularly and after using the toilet;
- Before preparing food or using sanitiser where there is no water.;
- Boil or chlorinate water before drinking.
Symptoms of cholera include profuse watery diarrhoea, sometimes described as “rice-water stools," vomiting, thirst, leg cramps, restlessness or irritability. The infection is often mild or without symptoms but can sometimes be severe and life-threatening. Community members are advised to visit their nearest health facility for tests and treatment as soon as they experience these symptoms.