Pupils to resume school from February 15

0:00
play article
Subscribers can listen to this article
Deputy Minister Reginah Mhaule. Picture: GCIS
Deputy Minister Reginah Mhaule. Picture: GCIS

NEWS


It has been confirmed – pupils are set to officially resume learning from February 15.

School management teams, made up of senior teachers and principals, will begin work on January 25. Other teachers will report for duty on February 1.

This was announced by Deputy Basic Education Minister Reginah Mhaule during a media briefing at the Government Communication and Information System offices in Pretoria on Friday morning.

All stakeholders were united in supporting a delay in the opening of schools. Given the pressure experienced by the health system in the past few weeks, occasioned by increased Covid-19 infections.
Deputy Basic Education Minister Reginah Mhaule

On Thursday, City Press reported that stakeholders were aware of the department of basic education’s proposal to the national coronavirus command council to delay the reopening of schools to the middle of next month.

Read: Schools might only open again in mid-February

The original pre-Covid-19 school calendar had scheduled the reopening of for this past Wednesday.

Due to the pandemic, Mhaule said they were forced to revise the school calendar for last year, which automatically affected the current year’s school calendar.

The dates were moved from January 13 to January 25 for teachers and to January 27 for pupils.

Mhaule said Covid-19 had turned lives upside down and decision-making for a sector as large as basic education had become difficult.

Following President Cyril Ramaphosa’s announcement on January 11, Mhaule said that between Tuesday and Wednesday, the department had consulted with the Council of Education Ministers, heads of provincial education departments, national school governing body associations, teachers’ unions, pupil formations, principals’ associations, representatives of independent schools and pupils with special needs.

The department will work closely with all nine provincial education departments to establish the true extent of the impact of the virus resulting from the unfortunate demise of teachers, workers and leaders in the sector.
Reginah Mhaule

“All stakeholders were united in supporting a delay in the opening of schools. Given the pressure experienced by the health system in the past few weeks, occasioned by increased Covid-19 infections which have led to the second wave, the Council of Education Ministers – in conjunction with the national coronavirus command council and Cabinet – has made the decision to delay the reopening of both public and private schools by two weeks.

“Private schools had already reopened and will need to shut down again and postpone their reopening to a later date. This is done to provide relief to the health system, which is already struggling to cope with current demands. The new dates for the reopening of private schools will vary, depending on the calendar they follow,” said Mhaule.

Read: Parents anxious on reopening of schools

She said school management teams would first prepare for the return of teachers, and the teachers would then prepare for the return of pupils.

Mhaule said schools would use the time to finalise outstanding matters regarding admissions, especially for unplaced pupils.

“The Council of Education Ministers made this difficult decision after considering all factors, backed up by research and statistics, regarding the current state of the health system. The priority remains saving lives.

“The department will work closely with all nine provincial education departments to establish the true extent of the impact of the virus resulting from the unfortunate demise of teachers, workers and leaders in the sector, especially during the December/January holidays,” added Mhaule.


facebook
twitter
linkedin
instagram

Msindisi Fengu 

Journalist

+27 11 713 9001
msindisi.fengu@citypress.co.za
www.citypress.co.za
69 Kingsway Rd, Auckland Park
We live in a world where facts and fiction get blurred
In times of uncertainty you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analyses, investigative journalism, top opinions and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.
Subscribe to News24

E-Editions

Read the digital editions of City Press here.
Read now
Voting Booth
ANC secretary-general Ace Magashule has written a letter suspending party president Cyril Ramaphosa in apparent retaliation after he was served with a letter of suspension on Wednesday.
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
Results
He doesn't have the power
37% - 82 votes
It’s a declaration of war
23% - 51 votes
Nothing but a distraction
40% - 90 votes
Vote